WTF...charging not supported with this accessory?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tctony, Mar 11, 2010.

1. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Only problem is, i'm using the same exact USB cable that I have been using for nearly 2 years. It all the sudden is swithing between not being supported and charging (which is annoying, as the phone is vibrating twice every 15 seconds now). Anybody have any clue?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wtf

Does this have to do with jailbreaking or hacking,

try another cable.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If the iphone goes from "charging" to "not charging" states while being plugged in then it might be a cable issue ... hopefully.

4. tctony thread starter macrumors 6502a

tctony

I'm confused as to whether or not if it is a cable issue. Because I switched cables and it worked through the wall charger. But the cable that wasn't working with the wall charger works through the computer.

The only reason I put it here is because I recently removed some of the launch daemons...I didn't know if anybody had issues with that.

5. ifruitfly macrumors member

this happed to me once. a cable that i had been using for a long time (a non-apple cable btw) suddenly was "not supported" or whatever it said... i disconnected and reconnected it a few times and then it worked again as usual and has not caused trouble since. also, there is an app on cydia that is supposed to make nearly all unsupported cables work with the iphone. i dont recall the name off the top of my head but im pretty sure its locatable off the main page in cydia -- its a paid app, a buck i think.

6. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Probably...

The cable as others are saying. This started happening with my original iPhone cable from my 2G. It's on my desk at work and gets used for like 7 hours+ 5-7 days a week.

What I've found is that if you press the round wire kind of sideways closest to the iPhone plug side before connecting it I don't get the error. It may go for days without giving the "not supported" error. I won't replace it til it totally stops working, though. Hope that helps!

7. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Any chance that this is caused by dirty contacts, either at the cable connector end or on the iPhone itself?

8. justinfreid macrumors 6502

justinfreid

Exactly what I was going to ask. Spraying compressed air around the contacts on both ends of the cable and on the 30 pin connector on the iPhone is a good idea. I'd apply a little rubbing alcohol only on the cable contacts if that doesn't work.

9. mentallapse macrumors newbie

Apple changed the charging circuitry in new devices

Most of you iPod/iPhone users that was met by the message "Charging is not supported with this accessory" has the same problem as I have.

The problem is that you bought a new Apple-product !!

Without any warnings to their millions of customers, Apple have changed the charging circuitry of their new devices so they only accept charging from USB-based (+5VDC) chargers. Earlier i-products also could charge through Firewire-based (+12VDC) chargers as seen in many car-installations and integrated iPod speaker systems.

All these people spend a lot of valuable time to find out what’s wrong with their devises only because Apple made a rather critical design change. These customers now have to buy new car-installations and/or speaker systems.

This shows how arrogant :mad:Apple treats their customers, partners and the market.

I find Apple products very nice and useful, but this latest change and also the latest war declared against Adobe’s Flash-product have made me consider my earlier devotion to their products. Next mobile phone will for sure be android-based.

For all you who have this charging problem, you might resolve this by buyng a Firewire-to-USD converter from Ridax, CableJive or Griffin (look for "Charge Converter") :)

Attached Files: