WTF Connected new LEd display and MBP is screwed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tslewis, Nov 29, 2008.

1. tslewis macrumors member

So

I just tried to connect my late 2008 MBP 2.8 ghz to a brand new 24 in LED. I think it must have fried something. It cannot now boot in to OSX. The circle showing the loading operation just keeps going round and round for almost 5 minutes before I give up amd switch the MBP off. I can boot in to windows via Boot camp with no probles.

THIS SUX.

I spent nearly 4k on a MBP and a dispaly and its screwed up. What the hell? So now I have to take a half day offf on a saturday to see if somebody knows what s going on at thw store after having dropped 1k on a display. They better have a good excuse and I am npt going to wait for a new MBP to be returned to me.

THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE for the amount of money I paid for this.

Im bloody annoyed.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

3. tslewis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks fpr the advice

Neither method worked.

I AM FURIOUS.

I havent had a problem with my DELL inspirion 9300 like this.

I spent neatly 4k and I cant get it to work.

Pissed off at this. I havent even started pushing the OS at all. Funny thing is, I can boot up in Windows but not teh apple OS. Screw this, im off ot bed and mad.

4. jamestemroot macrumors member

sorry to hear, has anyone else had this problem out there?

5. LinMac macrumors 65816

Did you call Apple?

Anything as complicated as a computer *will* break no matter how well built it is. I've had FreeBSD systems run solid as a rock for 4 years without a reboot only to manifest some error that I couldn't make heads or tails of.

Keep in mind that your problem could be as easy to fix as a single setting change. That is just how these things go. :D

Give Apple a call and ask them. That is what we pay them for after all.

6. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

Yikes, suxs big time for sure. The 24in LED causing your high-end MBP to not boot OSX, but did you say, LED connected via DP will work perfectly with BootCamp ? Strange indeed. Hope you get it resolved with Apple soon.

7. tslewis thread starter macrumors member

Just spent 2 hours on phone this morning. Told my hard drive needed to be reformatted as data relating to the header had somehow been corrupted. Pissed, made appointment at genius bar, got there, was told that yes it was corrupted and that if i had'nt backed up my stuff then i would have to pay 100 bucks to try some third party s/w. Totally annoyed, managed to get s/w for free, got home, tried using the s/w no go, tried booting off cd no go. Went back to genius bar, spoke to manager and said this is totally unacceptable for a 3k computer. To cut a long story short they managed to copy my old emails to a DVD along with other documents yay, and resinstalled OS. However, I will have to reinstall XP from scratch which I dont know if I can be bothered and wondering if I should risk a copy of vista. The last time i installed XP it seriously took 6 hours after installing all the patches and updates.

To be honest Im really mad. The support was good but I after spending all this money, for a hard drive to get corrupted within 30days is unacceptable. This didnt happen with my 3 year old dell inspiron. Im worried that this is going to happen again. Im pretty shocked to be honest.

8. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Should sell the MBP and the Display in the marketplace for $100

this should make it all better...

... c'mon man it's not Apple's fault, just cuz it didnt happen on your dell, doesn't mean something similar didn't happen to someone else's dell...

9. tslewis thread starter macrumors member

Dude, I didn't spend 3k on a dell. Wouldn't you be pissed buying a top of the line car and find you have to take it back to the garage within a month for something like an oil leak?

My point is, its not a good start is it? It doesnt exactly give me much confidence that the new MBP is not going to give me far serious issues later on ?

How common is it to have a corrupted hard drive within 30 days. Its not like Ive been using it heavily either!

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It's not common, thats why complaints are far and few between, I could see your point in ranting if the problem was common place, but it's not, its highly isolated.

It happens in every corner of the PC industry, including Apple, and hey, if you get really sick of your MBP, get a refund, buy a Dell, and be happy knowing that while you had unlucky experience in getting a faulty mac, you can be rest assured you'll be joined by hundreds if not thousands of other users with faulty Dells.

11. tslewis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feed back. I've worked on numerous computers including PCs ,Suns, commodore PET, Vic 20, Dragon 32 etc etc. I understand quite well reliability.

I can assure you I have never had any computer fail on me within the first month in 20 years experience and none of these came close to the price of what I paid for my first mac.

So sorry, but I dont think its quite acceptable and I am genuinely concerned if this is a sign of reliabilty to come. cheers

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Again, your case is a one off, when you take the machine back to apple, they will give you a utterly new machine, that statistically is practically guaranteed to be problem free....

FYI, I've had several computers die on me within mere weeks of being bought, and customer service was far FAR shoddier than Apple...

13. tslewis thread starter macrumors member

SO I guess Im wasting my time reinstlaling OS and XP right now on the same HD and I should just demand a new macbook pro. If thats the case why wasnt I advised that at the store and by Apple Care? Im not sure I can wait 10 days for a new one but Ive already wasted 2 days messing about with it as it is. May be I should cut my losses? This is a serious quesiton and Id like someones non biased "expert opinion" if this corruption is a one off or if this HDD is going to do the same thing again on me, cheers

14. aaeyers macrumors newbie

Apple does not make hard drives. A corrupted header file is not something you can blame Apple for.

As far as hard drives go, I've usually found that if you have a problem, you will have more problems. I would request that they install a new hard drive, or do it yourself if you are comfortable doing so.

15. tslewis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That was my gut feeling today now Im a little annoyed for not following through with it. I had hoped someone at the store/apple care would have advised me to replace the hard drive.

Hmmm I guess I could go in the store tomorrow and ask for a new one at the store? Thats a thought, I guess I dont need to send it away.

Anyway, half way through reinsatlling XP and have another 4 hours to go prolly what with all the SP patches etc. Im only installing XP as 99% of engineering applications dont work on MAC OS :(

16. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

Every company has their problems... that is for sure. I'm on my first new Mac myself, but I did buy a used on earlier this year to test the water. I've found this machine to be pretty solid, and there is no comparison to OSX and any version of Windows. You said that 99% of your engineering apps won't run in OSX, but have you considered running them in a virtual machine running XP? I have done that with the few apps I need that don't run native and love it so far. Once you get a good virtual copy of XP, you can clone it for backup and build many if you want. I have no desire to "dual boot" into Windows. I wouldn't have bought a Mac if that was my plan. I really don't understand why so many people do that.

As a final note, you mentioned Dell. I've spent $xx,xxx with Dell and their thanks was to add me to the list of customers they've committed outright consumer fraud against... and now lost several class actions suits from states' attorney generals. You want to deal with them, then be my guest... but no way are they in the same league with Apple in way.

17. JL7 macrumors member

Precisely. Get the genius to replace your hard drive and be on your way. You will soon forget about all of this and be off to many wonderful years with your new mac:rolleyes:

Have fun with the new 24" LED:D

18. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'm sure Dell has never had a computer part break during the first month in the history of their company.

They are machines, made from moving parts. Machines break. Yes, it sucks that you got a lemon, but lemons exist in every machine.

Back up your data, and it will be a lot easier to swallow if it happens again. Plug in an external hard drive, and click the two buttons when prompted.