WTF!?!?! Data Roaming Off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rob Mclovin, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

So today i was driving to class at about 12:30, and i checked the stocks and the internet. Then at 1 i got into class and checked teh weather if we could go to the beach, and suddenly this comes up. Data roaming is off. I had no service in class. Did the GPS screw up cause i had no service and thought i was roaming or something?
    [​IMG]

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Well it appears to me that data roaming is turned off
    *Use WiFi or enable data roaming in Settings>General>Network
    Additional Fees may apply.

3. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Yep, I'm sure the GPS messed up because it had a great signal in "class", probably thought you were on Pluto thus the roaming charges. Be prepared for AT&T to send you a bill from their martian office for 4$ER%Tyye1.

4. xyion1 macrumors regular

I'm not entirely sure what the data roaming error message has to do with GPS. The roaming is determined by the network depending on which tower you are connected to and if it is owned by your carrier or somebody else, GPS doesn't play into it to my knowledge.

When I get weird messages like that, I just toggle airplane mode, which forces the phone to reacquire local towers, it usually gets rid of the problem if there is one.

5. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Nothing to do with GPS.

Presumbaly a temporary glitch with the cell-site it self or its mobile switching center failing to register your phone as belong to its network.

From your picture it looked like bothy voice and data weren't working. Switching airplane mode off and on may allow it to reconnect. Otherwise scaning for availale networks to see what the phone can find.

6. Rob Mclovin thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok idk, it was just weird how i got a thing coming up saying Data romaing is off. I never got one of those before.

7. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I've seen quite a few error messages. Had the old sim card error screen once or twice - no idea why. One time my I had no wifi - it was grayed out in the settings menu - apparently the wifi antenna disconnected itself from the phone somehow? I have no idea.

Anyway, it just looks like a glitch, and as you can see you're not actually connected to a network right now, so the phone probably just figured you're not connected to a data network - when in reality you weren't connected to any network (or so it seems). If it happens again just go to airplane mode, or restart your phone and it'll be fine.

8. MyMaria macrumors newbie

MyMaria

Does anyone know how to get rid of this notification? I just started getting it today. I didn't do anything with my iphone4 since it had been jailbroken last Sept 2010 and still running on 4.1. Any ideas?

:confused: