WTF do I do now?! (buying Macbook Pro)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jamesesesesess, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Hey guys! I'm new here so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section. I've been wanting a Macbook Pro for a while now and last night I finally jumped the gun and bought a new MC721LL/A on eBay for $1,500. Good deal, right? Well I've also been checking Craigslist too, and I found some AMAZING deals on there. Sketchy? Absolutely. But you never know the deals you can find on there. I found this fully loaded, used Macbook Pro (Feb 2011 model) for $1,000. I would probably not even consider it because of how good of a deal it sounds, but read the message that the seller sent me:

In the pictures it also shows the original box, along with screencaps of the 'About this Mac' section showing the specs with the matching serial # next to it.

They said they have the original receipt, should I be able to trust them? What should I do? Ask the seller that I bought my new Macbook from to refund me, then go after this? Or should I keep my new Macbook and try to convince one of my parents to give me $1,000 to buy this, then if this deal turns out legit, sell my new Macbook?

No way in hell am I just going to let this deal slide by without reasonable cause, it's too good.

2. GTANJ macrumors member

If you already bought the Mac from the one seller, I would just stay with the one you got.

3. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

That is one crazy deal. But like you said, you just never know what you get.

4. visim91 macrumors 6502

This is why I always like to research my options before "jumping the gun". Well, actually, at that point, my decision wouldn't even be considered "jumping the gun" - it would just be considered a damn good decision.

Now, in your case, you have "jumped the gun", only to be shot in the back.

Craigslist is a breeding ground for good deals and ill intentions.
    Still, though such a deal does sound too good to be true, it is most probably legitimate as the poster is offering the receipt, original packaging, & pictures w/ his post.

If this is eating you up inside, and re-selling the EBay purchase is not too much of a hassle, sure, go ahead, just do it already.

5. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honestly though, I've been looking at the prices of Macbooks for months now. I've seen a few go in the $1,200s range, or a little higher (used I mean, I was originally going to purchase a used one). But as of late I've seen most go around $1,400, which is why I thought a new one for $1,500 was such a steal. I think my case was just horrible, horrible timing and bad luck.

I've messaged the seller on eBay about giving me a refund, but also holding the laptop for me (in exchange for like $10 PayPal) incase this Craigslist deal ends up being a scam. I hope he says yes, but otherwise I'll just resell it.

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

go to apple store abd buy brand new with education discount

7. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Then you have answered your own question, haven't you?

8. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not in college lol.

I'm asking for different opinions on the situation. Maybe a point of view that I never thought of that could change my decision.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

reminds me of the scam where they rent the same apartment to 25 people because those 25 people could not resist the deal ... $25,000

I would just go meet the guy in person and check out the computer

good luck

10. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

You have already entered into a legally binding contract to purchase the MBP from the eBay seller, so all you can really do is ask if you can renege on the deal. Asking him to hold it for you while you check to see if a Craigslist offer is legit is unfair to him. If I was the seller, I would refuse to do that.

Another thing you could do is ask if the eBay seller will do a 2nd chance offer to the 2nd highest bidder, and pay the difference between what he sold it to you for and what the 2nd highest bidder paid.

11. Swain macrumors member

I bid $1, I hope I was second.

12. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're right, I just told the seller that he can continue the purchase and send it to me. I'll resell it if I go forward with the Craigslist offer.

It was a Buy It Now auction, so I can't do that.

Death [​IMG]

13. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Even if this was a regular auction and not Buy It Now, the whole concept of bid increments would have prevented this from happening.

14. Ant.honey macrumors regular

What part of 'too good to be true" do you not get? "Deals like this, most especially on craigslist or almost certainly scams, stolen, fakes, etc. You're going down a dumb road IMO.

15. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

I don't see what the harm is in just checking it out. Maybe the deal IS true. And if the seller is local to the OP, they can simply meet in a public area and the OP can inspect the product in person before handing over any money.

16. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Have you contacted the person on CL yet?

About 75% of the MacBooks on CL are scams.

When you contact them, they will say something like " I had to go out of town/country all of the sudden and I am currently in the UK, Canada, insert random country/state far away here".

Now if it is a person who has it locally and is willing to meet locally go for it.

But like i said 75% of the MacBooks on CL are this scam.

17. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

I don't know about the 75% number, but there ARE a lot of scams on Craigslist. If the seller won't meet you locally in a public place and insists on completing the transaction online or via mail I would bail on it right away.

18. Spencer Reynen macrumors member

I agree completely. I would meet him in person before you do anything.

19. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, of course I will be sure to meet in a public area (I'm thinking a Starbucks at a mall?). I don't really see the harm in checking it out, I just don't want to buy it and have it break down on me or something. It still has Applecare which I guess would help.

The person hasn't asked any funny stuff about sending them money, or having it shipped to me, or any of that. Nothing that has yelled SCAM to me, besides of course the price itself. But they're willing to give me the original receipt, I don't know why I couldn't trust them :confused:

I'm going to ask them why they're selling it so cheap, it really doesn't make sense.

20. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Around this time of year there are a bunch of ( what look to be ) good deals on craigslist.

A lot of college students selling off gear that someone got them that they don't use or that they want to sell because of financing next semester etc.

Typical caution applies to craigslist purchases ( or even extreme caution ). Meet in neutral location that has adequate protection etc. If it looks shady going in just ditch out.

Verify machine is in working condition and double check serial number on machine against whatever you were told it was. If you are sure it is still under warranty that's all good.

21. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Exactly. Except if the seller is a complete idiot, he knows he could get a few more hundreds for it. It seems pretty odd to me.

But if you check it out and everything seems fine then go for it I guess.

Even though there could be problems that won't notice after only a few minutes use. We've had 2 laptops shut down after 30-60min in my family. Even though they weren't macs, you can never be sure.

22. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Dunno about 75%, but a lot of stolen laptops move on CL. We have 900 or so at work, and more often when one walks it shows up on CL.

The receipt is an east creation with any word processing program,.

23. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I'll be able to tell the difference between a fake receipt and a real one, I doubt it's that easy to make a legit looking fake.

24. ender land macrumors 6502a

For a second I thought you had 900 stolen laptops at work and was trying to figure out wth you do for a living ;)

25. Nychot macrumors 6502a

How do you know the ebay deal is legit? I'd never shell out those big buckx on ebay. At least with the sounds too good to be true cl deal you can meet the seller in a public safe place and examine the computer carefully.