WTF happened to Beejive?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by murdercitydevil, Nov 7, 2010.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

This app has recently become absolutely worthless. A few days ago, my 7 day session timeout happened, and all my accounts disconnected. So I attempted to reconnect, only to find that ANY attempt to change my accounts' status results in the app crashing automatically. There's no way for me to use any chat features whatsoever. Reinstalling did not help.

I'm on 4.1 jailbroken. Any suggestions?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Try quitting/closing the app on the task bar and run it again.

Mine's working fine so far. (not jb)

3. moka macrumors 6502a

i am not experiencing any issues with beejive my self, works fine. I was just recently using it.

4. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Done that as well. So far I can't find a single way to make it work. And I don't know what caused the issue, because previously it was working fine.

I have a feeling maybe it's JB related. 3G unrestrictor was my first guess, but disabling it made no difference. Not sure what else to try...sucks that no one else seems to be experiencing this.

5. hamsup1o macrumors member

Did you happen to replace the system font? If so, that is the problem. I have to revert back to default system font before beejive would stop crashing. Something on 4.1 has changed.

6. shandyman Suspended

mine's running fine, i'm not jailbroken, maybe thats why

7. Katanae macrumors member

I was completely relying on Beejive the last month and it has not failed me, there were a few crashes but nothing major.
    4.1 and JB as well.

8. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

hmmm...indeed I have. Both Helvetica and Helvetica Neue have been changed to Neutraface. But it doesn't make sense that the entire program would work fine until I try to connect an account.

EDIT: You seem to be right. Actually, it's not just any system font, it's only Helvetica Neue. AND if my prediction is correct, this bug only occurs if the custom font you replace H.Neue with does not have an italic form. Why? Because from what I can tell, the status selection screen in Beejive has text that is rendered italic, and this is the only place in the entire app where they use italic letters. The iphone version of Neutraface doesn't support italics, and I think that's why this page specifically crashes the app.

9. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

love when people blame the app first instead of reinstalling their phones software...

10. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

love when people post without reading the thread first

reinstalling the phone software should be the last measure you take in troubleshooting an issue. If you read, you'd see that I found out what caused the issue.

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

And it wasn't the app, was it?

12. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

That's a pretty obscure find. I would have never thought about custom fonts! You owe someone a big thumbs up!

13. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I never blamed the app though. There was no other way to phrase my issue, since I didn't know what the cause of the problem was. It's clear now that there's no issue with Beejive.

And yes, good find with the custom fonts, thank you!

14. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

I sent an email to BeejiveIM Support but they don't seem too keen on getting the issue fixed.

15. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

He obviously didn't even read what you wrote, just saw "jailbroken" and copy-pasted that reply. I've heard that Beejive support sucks. I guess they don't necessarily have to accommodate for bugs that may arise from Jailbreaking, but then again I'm sure a good percentage of their users are on JBen devices.

I wonder if it's possible to edit something in Beejive.app to remove that italic text, I'm pretty sure that would fix the problem.

16. thespazz macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure you're talking out of your ass.

17. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Can you disprove me then? Keep in mind that "good percentage" is unquantifiable.

18. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I've had terrible problems with this app and staying connected, even on stock firmware. It seems like pretty consistently it disconnects, first my jabber account then my yahoo account a bit later. I've switched back to IM+ and had no problems (mostly because I could never get any assistance from their support)

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't know. "WTF happened to Beejive? This app has recently become absolutely worthless" sounds like blaming the app to me.

And I can think of plenty of other ways to have phrased it. How about, "I have suddenly developed a problem with BeeJive IM which causes it to crash whenever I attempt to change my status. Reinstalling does not fix the problem. In recent weeks I have installed [name jailbreak apps installed] and made the following system tweaks: [name system tweaks applied]. Does anyone know what might be causing this issue?"

20. shandyman Suspended

+1

21. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

"WTF happened to Beejive?" = "What happened to to make Beejive no longer work?"
    "This app has recently become absolutely worthless" = "Because there's some sort of incompatibility/bug *somewhere*, Beejive is absolutely worthless as it can no longer connect to my accounts"

Even if my post came across as blaming the app, I retracted that statement earlier in the thread. Apologies if I offended you in some way lol

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

TS you should then EDIT the OP accordingly....