WTF happened to the podcast app?

TomOSeven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
Hi all,

I don't get what they did to the podcast app in iOS 11, seriously.

Podcasts cannot be marked as listened to. No way to set it to play the next podcast. No way to view the length without going to the individual podcast. Played and unplayed podcasts are listed together. No list of podcast subscriptions. "Listen Now" displays deleted podcasts. I don't know what's going on.

On Android, the situations is even worse for non-Americans, as we need an American VPN to even get podcasts over Google Play Music...

Do I really need to keep my iPhone 5 around just to have a good podcast experience?

noobinator

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
I switched to PocketCasts about 3 years ago and haven't looked back since. You can syn across all your devices and it has all the features you mentioned above.

TomOSeven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
How big is the delay you're getting between release on iOS and PocketCasts? On the 'free' (i. e. riddled with ads and selling your data) apps I've used on Android, I only got my podcasts like five hours later, meaning I wasn't able to listen to my news podcasts on the day they came out.

noobinator

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
How big is the delay you're getting between release on iOS and PocketCasts? On the 'free' (i. e. riddled with ads and selling your data) apps I've used on Android, I only got my podcasts like five hours later, meaning I wasn't able to listen to my news podcasts on the day they came out.
I paid for the full app and it was money well spent. I figure it costs so minimal for something I get to use daily. I tend to get podcasts pretty quickly but I'm not keen on what time they "should" be released vs when I actually get them. I've never had a problem though based on my listening habits. Give it a try and see how it works. It's great.