Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IchBinMatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
I installed windows xp home onto bootcamp. I then set up vmware fusion.

While in vmware fusion I activated my version of xp. Was that a bad move?

Now in boot camp it still asks to activate and vmware does not. WTF?

Please help me.

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
you need to have vmware tools installed in fusion before you activate in the vm and the activation issues will be taken care of

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
XP has to be re-activated when there is an extreme change in hardware setup. There is a big difference what Windows sees when it is either in Boot Camp mode or when it is running virtually. I would imagine that when you switch from one to the other, it will have to be re-activated each time.

IchBinMatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
How can I fix this since I already activated?

Plus, its boot camp that asks for the activation. VMware is fine.

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
activate again in boot camp... go back to fusion and make sure vmware tools are installed and try to activate again in fusion... this should stop the activation requirements... if it says you've exceeded your limit of activations on that license you are going to have to activate by phone and tell them you upgraded your hard drive and its only been installed on one computer and they will give you a new key number

IchBinMatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
activate again in boot camp... go back to fusion and make sure vmware tools are installed and try to activate again in fusion... this should stop the activation requirements... if it says you've exceeded your limit of activations on that license you are going to have to activate by phone and tell them you upgraded your hard drive and its only been installed on one computer and they will give you a new key number

How do I choose to activate again in vmware if its already been activated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.