WTF,,,Help Please

Discussion in 'macOS' started by footballforever, Sep 1, 2009.

1. footballforever macrumors member

I got my snow leopard upgrade DVD yesterday and when I out it in, I see the disk and I click on the install Snow Leopard, I see it running for like 2 minutes then my screen goes black and then nothing after that, I hear the disk still spinning in my drive but nothing on the screen, What gives , It happened 2 times. And right after I have to do a fresh install back to Regular Leopard.

I need help.

Thanks

2. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Not sure if you're willing to do this, but give it a shot and see what happens. Backup everything with time machine if you use it (to be safe) and then restart the computer with the SL install DVD in the drive; while the computer is starting, hold the option key to display the option of what you'd like to boot from. When it's up, choose the dvd and it should boot into the installer.

After the installer starts up you should be free to upgrade to SL or even fresh install, depending on what you prefer.

Good luck.

3. footballforever thread starter macrumors member

I have nothing on the machine to say, so I will try this,

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If all else fails, you might have a bad disc. I would contact Apple (or go to an Apple store if you're close to one) and ask for a replacement.

5. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Let us know if it works.

6. footballforever thread starter macrumors member

Just tried this, and DAMN it still doesn't work, my screen goes black and I see nothing. WTF man.

7. footballforever thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE- Here's the thing, Since my screen kept going black, and getting me pissed off. Before I tried it again, I went into the power save settings and made sure the HDD and screen saver settings were set to Never sleep.
    So far so good, It's still installing as we speak, I don't know why the power save setting would have anything to do with this.

I will let you guys know if it fully completes.

8. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

That's really strange.. I'd do like the other poster suggested and see if you can get your disk replaced because it could be a defective one.

9. Lordedmond macrumors regular

Thats why I always boot from the dvd ( hold down 'C' whilst booting from cold ) because it shuts off the power saving the screen may blank but it keeps going

10. footballforever thread starter macrumors member

Hold the C, what do you mean?

If you talking about holding control until when you see the HDD and the disk, I did this already, I click on the disk and the screen still goes black. So that's not true, the screen still goes black.

11. Lordedmond macrumors regular

with the dvd in the drive hold down the 'C" key between x and v :D will boot from the dvd

as above hold down the 'D' key will open the diagnostic section

in both cases do this while you cold boot

12. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to me.

I changed and did a clean install in the end.

13. upchuck247 macrumors newbie

14. footballforever thread starter macrumors member

wait so you got it to work?

Also, I have a single DVD upgrade disk, is that the same disk you all have that have Snow?