Wtf. I messed up my ipad2 screen cover

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iHeartsteve, Feb 19, 2012.

1. iHeartsteve, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I got a cheap $3 screen protector and it has air bubbles all over. I can put on iPhone one perfect app no air bubbles. Ugh. Throwing it away.

Anyone else recommend good screen protector?

UPDATE!!! I got a reaally nice apple geek yesterday to apply my screen cover! Did it perfectly :D I feel relieved now b/c I was so worried about scratching the screen. I felt bad bc they took like 20 min to push out every air bubble. I think I owe them a coffee the next time I go in!

2. Captjlucpicard macrumors newbie

I went through 2 of them before I got it to look decent.

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

you will get very bias opinions with a lot of people swearing in different brands of screen protectors.

Have you tried waiting for a day or two, sometimes it a bit to go away, also maybe try using a blowdryer on a coldish setting if yours is a wet applicable screen protector.

4. iDrew87 macrumors member

My Brother bought his iPhone 4S the other week in town and went to buy a screen protector straight away. During his own applying he messed it up, Air bubbles n all so went back to the shop to buy another one and asked politely to the woman of the shop if she can do it for him and she did.

All she did was made sure everything was lined up from birds eye view and dropped it on the screen all at once and rubbed it in, there was no air bubbles and I was certainly impress! So I assume you could do the same method with an iPad now, Hope this helps ;)

5. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

The cheap ones are fine if applied correctly. Go into the bathroom, turn the hot water on for a while to steam up the room and settle the dust. Then make sure the iPad is spotless, peel back a tiny bit of the screen protector backing, line it up and then work towards you pulling the backing off and laying down the protector. Squeeze any air bubbles out with a credit card then remove the top sheet.

If you get any dirt or dust you can use a bit of tape to lift up a corner and then remove the speck but I find that when I do that I usually end up with more dust :p

6. iHeartsteve thread starter macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Thanks for everyone's responses! Maybe il have an apple genius put one on :)

----------

Cool the credit card thing would work well. Is it safe to have it near hot steam?

7. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

The steam tends to rise, but make sure your iPad is turned off. I've done it many times with no issue and I know others have as well.

8. iHeartsteve thread starter macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Oh ok cool. Thx

9. KandyKane macrumors 6502

I work for a phone company and do these all the time.
    We obviously don't have a steamy bathroom!

If it's a brand new iPad, no fingerprints it's pretty easy. Start peeling the screen protector from either the top or bottom and align it with the sides and slowly unreel the rest and stick as you go. Stop as soon as there is an air bubble and push it out, if there is a piece of dust use scotch tape (the sticky tape that doesn't leave sticky residue). Make sure it's aligned as you're going along. If you've done it properly, you don't need the credit card as this scratches the film.
    If the iPad has finger prints on it already then you have to clean it with a lint free cloth- then use scotch tape all over the front.

I use the same technique for iPhones, but some of the other guys will unpeel the whole iPhone protector at once, align the speaker and home button and drop it on from the centre out.

I say it's easy, but on my own iPad/iPhone, I'm horribly fussy and if I think it's out of alignment by .01mm I take it off and try again!!

10. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

...or you could just not worry about the screen protector and use it as intended, and let the Gorilla Glass do its job :)

11. iHeartsteve thread starter macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Wow thanks for your detailed instructions! I want you to do it! Lol I think I'm being overly picky b/c mine was off like .o1 mm also and I took it off and then lint got on and messed up everything.

Do the geeks have lint free cloth? The one my screen protector gave, sucked! It created lint!

----------

Lol that's a thought. Why isn't apple on here? http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/featured-products

Bc they don't need to advertise that they use the best parts?

12. deeddawg, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

deeddawg macrumors 603

Heh. That is the subject of several long threads. Short summary:
    • Gorilla Glass is Corning's brand name for aluminosilicate glass, but they're not the only manufacturer of the stuff.
    • We don't know if Corning's branded product is superior to other aluminosilicate glass products. Maybe it is? Maybe they're about the same?
    • Corning's site specifically says they don't identify all devices using Gorilla Glass.
    • Maybe Apple uses Corning's product, maybe they don't. Difficult to know.

From your link:
    Basically all we have is a big pile of "we don't know enough to draw any conclusions"... :D

Oh and to @polbit's comment -- aluminosilicate glass (including Gorilla Glass) can and does scratch and break. It's tough stuff but not impervious (which is why anyone's claims of "if Apple used Gorilla glass it wouldn't have broken" are b.s.)

I'm a firm believer in using a good quality "crystal" type screen protector for peace of mind; buy a good one and it's indistinguishable from the naked screen. Go with a static cling type, crystal not matte, and stay FAR away from any Zagg / Invisible Shield / BestSkinsEver for the screen. They give screen protectors a bad name. For protecting the back shell they're great, but only the back.

13. Saphire macrumors member

Saphire

I messed up my first one, took it off and squirted some soap liquid on it and washed it carefully with running water, I let most of the water drip off then re-applied. I put it on again no trouble after that.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

An Apple Genius won't install a screen protector for you.
    I had no issues with my iPad, but my screen protector was not real flimsy (Power Support anti-glare). I had one bubble due to dust and easily got that off with a piece of scotch tape.

15. iHeartsteve thread starter macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Thx for the summary ! I'm going to tell people now, don't mark up my
    aluminosilicate glass when they ask to use my iPad. :D

I saw on another thread people recommend Moshi's screen cover but it cost $30 yikes!

16. deeddawg macrumors 603

Yeah, the prices of those things can be up there. My preference is the SGP Steinheil Ultra series.

There are also a variety of screen protectors for little money on ebay; might be worth spending $2-3 to try out and see if they'll work for you. Plus if you're not practiced at applying these, it's less nervewracking to learn on a $3 per 3-pack set than a $30 per two pack set.

17. iHeartsteve thread starter macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Yea I bought some cheap screen covers to start w!

18. deeddawg macrumors 603

LOL, missed that. Whoops.

I've never had a problem with the cheap protectors myself; the key is in properly applying the thing which includes thoroughly cleaning the screen and using scotch tape to remove any dust particles creating air bubbles. (oh and avoiding the dip in / spray with water Invisible Shield type protectors)

I'd be especially leary of buying an expensive screen protector before getting the process down using cheap ones.

19. iHeartsteve thread starter macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Yeah I did not buy the spray water type, that's sounds crazy and sticky lol.

20. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

Odd, I've never had any luck with the disposable screen protectors. I generally wasted at least two by the time I'd get one installed to my satisfaction. The last two I've used were both Skinomi shields, which use a little spray (install wet) and both went on cleanly. No bubbles, no distortions, perfect first try. One is on my iPod Touch and the other on my iPad2. I recommend them highly.

21. iHeartsteve thread starter macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Thanks for sharing! I'll look into that! :D