WTF: iBooks REQUIRES Mavericks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mrbobb, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So never used iBooks before and was curious to try one out. When I go into iTunes to check out the book it specifies: iBooks 3 AND OSX 10.9 or later REQUIRED.

WHAT? I am happily running Mountain Lion and have no need to update the OS. So people not running Mavericks are S.O.L. in the iBooks department? So Apple is not interested selling us books unless we follow the upgrade path like sheeps?

Am I missing something?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yes, why not upgrade? It's not like it's gonna cost you anything...

3. Bear macrumors G3

iBooks was listed as a feature of Mavericks.

But they may have other reasons to not upgrade The may be using software that's not compatible with Mavericks yet or they may not be ready to pay to upgrade software for Mavericks compatible versions.

Mavericks is also not useable for everyone. Some people are running into issues with Mavericks.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup you're missing the point - iBooks is a feature for Mavericks. You want that feature you need to upgrade.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well no, they don't really have much of an interest in selling you books through the computer. They reluctantly put out this management disgrace they call iBooks on OSX merely as a way to help simplify ebook & pdf collections.

That said, it's terrible. I LOVE iBooks on iOS, but on OSX it's a management disaster to try to keep everything in order when syncing to iOS.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

True, but by the same token, if there are features in a newer operating system, then there's justification to upgrade.

AFAIK there is not too many apps that are broken in 10.9.

7. Bear macrumors G3

All it requires is one thing to not work for someone - they may not be willing to live without whatever is broken for them. Each person needs to decide for themself if what is broken is okay in order to get new features.

8. Mrbobb thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the update guys. What a pain in the buttuska. Not a good way to introduce eBooks to someone without an iPad.

I get it, iPad more natural to read books but I read maybe 2 per year, buying an iPad just for that seems wasteful. Back to the paperback it is.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why not just use the Kindle reader on the Mac or one of the other eReaders?
    No need to go back to paperbacks :)

Some people even prefer the Kindle experience on the Mac/iOS to iBooks

10. Mrbobb thread starter macrumors 601

There is a Kindle reader for the Mac? SWEET. Well they are getting my money then.

11. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Looking at what iBooks link against, the only thing preventing iBooks from running is the BookKit Framework--which Apple chose to include as a private framework for 10.9. I can't see any other technical limitation; Apple did advertise iBooks as a 10.9 feature.

12. Mrbobb thread starter macrumors 601

I thought eBook was introduced in 2010, a little socked there was no support for OSX until now. But oh well, Amazon is already my shopping portal, so whatever Bezos is doing, I like.