WTF is Apple doing with iTunes and users on older OS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HiFiGuy528, Mar 15, 2012.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I just updated to iTunes 10.6 from 10.5.3 on Snow Leopard. Zero issues on the old version and on Mac running Lion. Nothing else changed before the update. Now iTunes would crash shortly after startup. Crashed so many times that it is not usable. A google search reveal a long support thread on Apple Support Forum. The only fix was to "downgrade" back to 10.5.3 which Apple makes it a B***ch to do. I had to search the web for the file. Apple removed the old iTunes file so you can't get it from a trusted site. WTF! Apple.

Is this the first sign of Apple ******* up without Steve at the wheel? iTunes is bread and butter and for it to not work on SN is a HUGE flaw. Anyone else has the same issue?

Don't update if you are running anything other than Lion.

2. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

On one of the apple forums, it appears someone diagnosed it as an apparent problem with iPhoto '09. I have no idea why the iTunes update to 10.6 would be influenced by iPhoto (maybe some sort of integration of iPhone/iPad photos to iPhoto?) but they had a fix that appeared to work for several people.

Hopefully Apple will rectify the situation soon. I run SL on both my Macs and I haven't updated yet to iTunes 10.6, so I guess I'll wait until 10.6.1.

3. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Snow Leopard is only one version old. My Mac Mini is a 2010 so I'm not running a dinosaur box.

BTW, I did try doing a clean install of iTunes 10.6, but still didn't work.

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Have you tried repairing permission?

Just wondering since you already have lion why don't you install it on this mac as well? or did that come preinstalled with your other mac?

5. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Grid view

Grid view seems the common instigator. I don't have iPhoto but still have the issue. When in grid view, take down the size of the icon art to below 50%, or you can go to the boring, no-frills text layout. This worked for me and many others. WTF Apple did to cause this, who knows.