WTF is FCE 4 doing to my AVCHD footage!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by NRose8989, Oct 19, 2008.

1. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

okay so my sequence setting are set to "AVCHD-Apple intermediate codec 1920x1080i60" and i recorded some video on my canon HF10 using PF30 on shutter priority (Tv) set to 60 (because i was shooting some action scenes).

While in FCE 4 my video shows horizontal interlacing lines (both viewer and canvas) and they show up when exporting both quicktime movie and quicktime conversion to H.264.

the funny thing is that the transcoded raw AIC footage (in my capture scratch) doesn't show any lines of interlacing and it crystal clear.

To make things ever more confusing, the HF10 records video (regardless of shooting mode) in 60i. So in I don't think i have the wrong sequence settings, do I?

2. Exman macrumors member

Your settings are set interlaced. It's been a while since I used FCE, but try another setting such as "AVCHD-Apple intermediate codec 1920x1080" (not 1920x080i). When you export, chose progressive (not upper or lower in the 'fields domination' settings).

3. NRose8989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well after some intensive trouble shooting, I've discovered that FCE 4 significantly degrades the video quality if you either speed up or slow down the video.