WTF is join on with my iMac? [VIDEO Enclosed]

Discussion in 'iMac' started by youslippin, Sep 12, 2011.

1. youslippin macrumors member

So this is the 3rd time I come to the office and find my iMac doing this. One of the neighbors told me that its been doing it all weekend! Theres no CD in the drive, had to hold the power button to shut off the iMac because it was unresponsive. 21.5 inch 3.06 i3 iMac 16gb ram

http://youslippin.com/wtf.3gp

2. keewee macrumors newbie

3. Qwaf macrumors member

Take it to an Apple store. It sounds like a fan has broken internally and is catching on something. Try not to turn it back on till you get it seen to by someone at an Apple store or an Apple authorised service provider to avoid any more potential damage.

4. qap macrumors 6502

qap

Wow :D Cool, you can use it to wake up in the morning :D

Anyway I think is one blade of the fan broken that slams with the others when the fan spins…

5. Qwaf macrumors member

Actually, thinking about it, unless there is something in the system that won't allow the iMac to run if a fan is broken (which I don't think there is), it may be the hard disk.

I've heard hard disks make some pretty horrendous noises in the past, but I'm not sure they'd get that loud, at least not the typical consumer ones you'd find in an iMac.

6. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

Its the fan.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I agree. Take it in. That fan motor is history.

8. youslippin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies! Its so weird, it only pops up once every few months. I'll be taking it into the Apple store this weekend