WTF is the fix!??!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by H. Flower, Feb 10, 2010.

1. H. Flower macrumors 6502

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary, come again?

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

4. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

what about leopard users? (me) My mac pro came with 10.5.7 preinstalled so I would expect a fix for leopard as it is my main OS.

5. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Wait... Can someone inform me if the bug affect 10.5 and 10.6? I always thought it affected just 10.6 (feelin' smart atm :rolleyes:)

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Fist of all;

W(hat)TF are you talking about!??!?!?!?!

In case that you (we) are talking about the audio bug related to the Nehalem Pros, if affects all versions os OS X, not only Snow Leopard.

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't think it will be related to 10.6.3 because the problem involves also Leopard
    I think it will be a separate fix (maybe to be included in future OSX revisions)

8. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

and apple cared about old users since when..?

if it's driver related, dont expect fix for old OS

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

That is sadly very true.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

no, that's very false, and an iPhone owner can tell you how his 3years-old mobile has been updated year by year.
    In the same way Apple is keep updating at least TWO generations of o.s. ... (actual and the previous)

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I'm still waiting for Mac OS X 10.2 to be "fully optimized" to run on all G3 machines. When is that fix going to come?:p

12. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

see what u did ther?

13. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

The iPhone is much more important to Apple than the Mac Pro.

Ask 06 Mac Pro users how many updates Apple has provided them in the last 4 years. The 32 bit "64 bit Xeon" Mac Pro. :rolleyes:

14. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

The iPhone is unique compaired to Apple's other products. Apple is not Windows, they do not support old software or hardware for very long after new models are released. If you notice, the updates going to 10.5 are only security updates.

I'm sure Apple gets compensation for not only the initial sale from iPhones but also additional capital from AT&T. Not to mention the sales from purchases in the music/app store. It's advantagous for them to keep customers who pay monthly/micro payments happy.

15. H. Flower thread starter macrumors 6502

Where is the audio fix!??!?!

My friends (who also own Nehalems) and I are starting to get pissed!!!!!!!!!

16. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

It might be sitting in the same room as the update enabling EFI64 on 2006 Mac Pros :rolleyes:

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I know the "efi32 -> 64" issue, and I can understand MP users pissed off by that.
    Btw keep in mind that 06 MPs were released in a time when transition from 32 to 64 bit was in an early stage. Anyway 06 MPs still are powerfull computers, after 4 years, and you can install Snow Leopard and have 64-bit applications running just fine.
    The only limitation I really see is the graphic card, but if you work with 3D-intensive applications you Are going to change your system every 3 year because you really need the top performer (I'm speaking about make real money with a computer, not whining people complains about the last videogame not running very well: they had choose the wrong computer).

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't agree.
    You can install and use Snow leopard and ALL Apple software on a 2006 iMac ....
    And we are in 2010 ...

This is a non-sense.
    Apple is a manufacturer, Windows is a Microsoft product.
    Apple support old products the same way Microsoft does.

they are what you need. Nothing you can add on an operative system that had 8 revisions.

And the upgrade to Snow Leopard is 29 € ....

19. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

No 64 bit OS for old (later then 2008) macs even though they support it

No new gpus for older mac pros even though they support it

I'm soryr to tell you, but Apple does not give a **** about customers of old hardware

20. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Ah. Thanks, for some reason I thought that it was 10.6 only. Sorry about that (digging in the audio-bug thread finally made me see come to that conclusion).

Don't thank me, thank Cindori. Its a beta, in addition to the fact that you lose some features (sleep and speedstep, for instance). There is a kext file that you have to disable, IIRC - I would know more about it if I had one.

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Snow Leopard IS a 64bit OS, and it runs on every Intel Mac ...

as I said before, this is the only limitation, but we are speaking of a computer from 2006 ...
    Powerfull, but getting old ...

this is your opinion.
    My experience is totally different, and I'm an Apple customer since when you were just a kid ...

22. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Yes it does, but on most Macs only with a 32bit Kernel.
    64bit Kernel is only available for the 2008 and 2009 Mac Pro.

23. SciFrog macrumors 6502

24. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

No it is not. Kernel runs 32-bit by default. Get your facts straight.
    64-bit kernel is not able to run on Macs older then 2008.

To enable 64-bit OS and new GPU's would take a couple of megabytes large firmware update. Totally possible.
    And the 4870 actually IS compatible but Apple choose to say it's not. Why? Earn money. They could easily say it's compatible but they dont. Instead they officially force you to purchase a totally new computer.
    And warranty terminated if you bought one for your "incompatible" Mac. Nice way to treat costumers, yes?

Old computer? You would guess that something that cost you $ 3000 would be supported more then 2 years? (I am counting this from 07 Mac Pro to 09 with release of SL and 4870)
    NO OFC NOT LOL LETS BUY NEW COMPUTER LOLOL IT'S JUST THE
    <QUOTE>Most expandable Mac ever<UNQUOTE>

Yes it's my opinion, but it also happens to be true.
    I'm 18. Should I take it you became an Apple Customer last week then?

I don't really care much about their ignorance, but if someone is saying Apple is great with their Mac Pro customers they really should take a look around.
    (09 macpro audio bug anyone??)