WTF? iTunes library suddenly vanished!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by salientstimulus, Jul 12, 2009.

1. salientstimulus macrumors member

Anyone know what might have happened here? I just started iTunes to find my library completely empty (just like a fresh install -- no music, no playlists, no podcasts, no apps -- but still logged in to my account). I went to go take a look in my iTunes library: my media files are all still there, but the iTunes library files are brand new and empty (4-32kb). There is also a Unix Executable 'sentinel' that I never noticed before.

In my Trash, two of the four database files are present ('iTunes Library Extras.itdb' and 'iTunes Library Genius.itdb') and seem to be the appropriate size (~1mb and 63mb, respectively). But iTunes 'Music Library.xml' and 'iTunes Library' (new ones are present in my iTunes folder) are not in the Trash. In the 'Previous iTunes Library' folder there are a few old backups.

The last thing I did with iTunes was importing a .WAV, and then converted it to .AAC; a podcast was also downloaded. That was at a time corresponding to the file mod date on the 'Extras' database in my Trash.

Anybody have an idea of what may have happened? I have a Time Machine backup from a couple weeks ago, so it's not a huge deal, but I'd like to know what went wrong so it doesn't happen again.

FYI, iTunes 8.2, fully-updated 10.5.7, unibody MB 2ghz. Not sure if it could conceivably relevant, but last application installs were Vuze, FLAC, and Audacity (installed the latest stable release after the beta version I'd been using crashed-on-open repeatedly).

2. njl macrumors regular

in the past, i had a corrupted itunes xml files.. it messed up all my tags...

don't know if its the same problem, but would i would do is search which files to delete so itunes and rebuild those files to be able to "see" your collection.