WTF? Letterman does same monologue two nights in a row?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

See for yourself.

I read that someone suggested that this is, itself, a gag.

Has anyone ever seen Letterman (or someone else) do this before?

2. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

What...I thought he did the same monologue every night. :p

I'm honestly surprised anybody noticed. He's been making the same jokes and doing the same gags for twenty years.

3. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Well, it certainly made me gag. Never been a Letterman fan.

4. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm waiting for Craig Ferguson to take over his job. He's a MUCH better comedian, presenter, and interviewer.

5. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

And how is this different from any other late night host?

I'm a Conan fan myself, but I haven't watched any late night TV for nearly two years. To be honest I'm usually not awake by the time Conan comes on, and on the off chance I am awake I'm usually lying in bed surfing on the iPhone.

I lead an exciting life. ;)

6. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm doing that right now actually. :p Craig Ferguson is my favorite. Instead of reciting pre-baked one liners for three minutes, he spends almost a third of his airtime delivering a hilarious and personal self-written monologue.

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Seriously? Seriously? I can't even watch a minute of his show because he is so incredibly unfunny that it is embarrassing and painful for me to watch.

Conan is pretty much the only funny late night talk show host.

8. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

well then maybe you should watch him for more than a minute before writing him off

9. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Dr. Late Night: Or How I Learned to Stop Grieving Carson and Love the Shows

It's interesting. I'm curious to know the explanation. I like all four late night talk show hosts as they have different strengths that appeal to me. Leno, as with his standup, is consistent in his jokes, but not hilarious. His interviews are mild and pleasant. Letterman's peak was his last two seasons at Late Night and his first two seasons at Late Show. Those fours years were amazing, but he seems bored and uninterested now. His interviews are still excellent. O'Brien is still solid, but his routine is stale. Late Night was never the same after Richter left. Ferguson is fresh and The AP just reported that he topped Late Night for the first time.

That said, no one can ever match The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, I've tried watching Ferguson several times, but just don't find him funny.

Truth to tell, none of the late night guys is that great. I don't know, there's something about a number of them, Leno and Conan especially, that's so overly-obvious, as if they're always winking at you and going, "Ain't I cute?" At least Letterman's a little more deadpan.

But yeah, he's off his game too. Aside from those periods MacHipster mentioned, he was also very good when he came back following his heart surgery. It was as if the time off renewed his mental energies.

If there's one thing that bugs the crap out of me about Letterman, though, it's his insistence on telling the same joke again. And then later again.

But I suppose it's too much to expect him, at his age, to be flinging himself up against Velcro walls. :D

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Carson = over-rated. Some people just love nostalgia. The truth is, none of the late night shows are all that great. I liked Conan, but his self-deprecating humour got old 8 years ago. The only one I like is Craig Ferguson, but only because he's fresher.

However, I must say that Conan is the most naturally funny one of the bunch. He's hilarious off his show as well.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's the first time I've seen or heard of this person, is he supposed to pass for a comedian?

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Letterman is a great interviewer, I think his monologues have gotten stale but the rest of his stuff is still good. He is better at physical comedy. He isn't good at the one liner, but that isn't his style. He is becoming more of a straight man and letting someone else grab the punch-line. I wish Paul would shut up though. He is trying to be Ed McMahon.

I think Ferguson is getting better. He is getting his own identity. I like him better then Kilborn.

Leno needs written jokes, he is not good at ad lib, as shown during the strike. He is not a good interviewer.

Conan is great, not sure how well he will be hosting the Tonight Show, he will have to dumb down a lot of his jokes. He can make a joke out of anything. The only problem Conan has is that he will run a joke into the ground.

Kimmel is funny because he doesn't care who he offends.

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Been off-planet long? ;)

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Actually from what I have read/heard Henry Rollins is one of the best interviewers out there. As far as a comedic late night aspect, Leno, Conan, Kimmel, esp. Letterman, well they all _____ (insert most any word that rhymes with duck).

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No, just never heard of him.

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I forgot about Kimmel. Damnit.

Kimmel > Anyone else > Ferguson.

19. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I have to agree with you there. I/we prefer him over anyone............... "remind you of anyone"

I however don't find some of his skits funny but overall I like his monologues. His skits seem to pull him into a person that he's not. His monologues to me are hilarious.

20. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Ferguson is the best... I don't watch any of the others unless they have a guest on who I am really interested in. Lem & Letterman are too straight, the monologues are easy jokes.

I don't see Ferguson going well as a Letterman replacement, he would drive the network insane with the tangents etc and they want the guests on. The Late Late Show is prime for Ferguson.

21. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

The skits are the only part of the show not written by him. Some of the skits aren't that impressive (like ESPNUK), but his Prince Charles and JK Rowling talk show impersonations are fantastic.

I like the fact that he's really the only host in late night who generates the majority of the program's content.

22. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I think that's what makes him funny as all get out. The fact that he actually comes up with something that makes himself bust out laughing. Leno just stands there looking and moving like J.Carson, Letterman gives a giggle as if to say "dang, you guys wrote something that make me snicker" but Ferguson is a pretty good ad lib guy.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ewww.....not on the first date.

24. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

So did we ever figure out why he did the same monologue two nights in a row?

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm thinking April Fool, but I don't know the original air dates.