WTF Macmall

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danny31292, Oct 15, 2008.

1. danny31292 macrumors newbie

I just ordered my macbook pro with a laptop backpack, a parallels which were free with rebate. An hour later I received a call demanding to know why I did not purchase the free printer and anti virus software. I had to explain I already have 5 printers and only use one. I also don't need an anti virus on a mac. He then proceeded to tell me I should buy applecare and office(I already have 08). I told him I could buy applecare anytime in the next year but offered a reduced rate if I purchased it today.

The applecare talk was not to surprising but I couldn't believe a retailer tried to get me to buy items that they would loose money on. I've never had an internet store call me to confirm my order.
    Dan

2. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Maybe he doesn't lose money on it. He probably got them free also, or heavily discounted, and wants to get some cash and free up his wareroom.

3. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

or who knows...maybe he likes his job and cares about the consumer.
    maybe he didnt know you had the 5 printers and office and wanted to make sure that you (unlike the larger of the demograph) were set up as you want to be.

or maybe hes just scraping the change.

either or...hes doing is job, and by the looks of it, hes going all out.
    my hats off to macmall. agressive little buggers.

4. danny31292 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not really complaining. It does make the customer feel more important and hopefully they pay this much attention to you if you have any problems.

5. TooBadSoSad macrumors newbie

Got the same call, but they were not very pushy. Just said no and they left me alone.

By the way, has anyone used their rebates before? Are they good about honoring them?

6. gregk205 macrumors member

They do that because you pay for the items upfront and then you need to send in the rebate form with the Serial number cut from the boxes. But they do that because according to most surveys 60%of people don't send in the rebate material. So they end up getting extra money out of you. If you do send in the rebate form they do send you the rebate. They are legit in that respect. I bought a MBP from them a few months ago with a rebate.

7. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

why dont u get the printer and try to sell it or give one of your relatives etc.

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If a retailer wants to call me up and confirm my order that's wonderful. If a retailer calls me up and tries to sell me stuff, impulse buys I would have gotten well ordering, well that's just a cancellation of my order. If I really want it I would then go to an Apple reseller and not Apple themselves, and let my buddy Lewis get commission on it

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

Do you have a link or is this just another made up number?

10. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Dude, get real... 87% of all things posted on the 'net and 72% of all things printed are estimates. :rolleyes:

11. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

Yeah that's why rebates exist. They can bait you with a low price or "FREE" but chances are you will forget to send in the rebate, or send it in and forget about it and they won't fulfill it. Sadly I've forgotten a few times in the past.

But as far as MacMall rebates, my mom got a macbook and all the free stuff, sent in the rebates online, got her checks within 3 weeks.

Go for it, just make sure you keep track of everything and make copies/scans/screen grabs of everything.

12. RRutter macrumors 6502

I have had, for example, very frustrating online chats with Apple employees - every time I would ask a question, they would tell me to call Apple Care. One of them even had the nerve to completely Sign off without answering my question, as if I was retarded! What's going on apple? :confused:

13. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

I'm sure they make money on the back end from Microsoft and/or Apple on those... Good for you and good for them.

14. puttputt macrumors regular

Dude, is that a question mark at the end of your statement, or are your panties in a bunch?

====

Thumbs UP to MacMall and their sweet rebates. Oddly, I've only managed to redeem 60% of them due to my inability to follow through. And that's a documented fact.

15. gregk205 macrumors member

Wow... I was trying to be helpful but you just want to be an a**... If you aren't going to help the OP than why even post.. And since you need a link in order to get my point. Here you go. I was off by 1%. Sorry for my misinformation.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20050202/1311201.shtml