WTF?! So frustrated....wifi issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bursty, Nov 25, 2007.

1. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I picked up a new router and modem yesterday. Got the new modem setup with my cable company, on to the router. The router is a Linksys WRT150N. All my previous Linksys router experiences have been positive - mostly plug and play. It took a while to get my wired connections to work but thats done now.

I cannot, for the life of me, get my wifi setup to be consistent on either my MB, MBP, or any of my 3 iPhones. :mad: I think it's a DNS issue. When my wifi does drop out, the DNS tab just has my routers address, 192.168.1.1 instead of the 3 true DNS 24.217.x.x. The only way I could get it to work at all is to disable any WPA or WEP security, which I dont like. The fact that I cant get it to work consistently with any of my Macs leads me to believe its a problem on the router side, not the Mac. Both Macs are running 10.5.1 btw.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should check on the Linksys router setup page for a DNS issue? Any suggestions of what else could cause randomly working wifi?

Its working right now, but when it does go out, the bottom two lights and sometimes the third (Server, Internet, and ISP) are red and say failed.

[​IMG]

I'm going to mess with it more tomorrow and try it again with WPA security on and if it doesnt work, I might just take it back for an Airport Extreme.
    :mad:

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Until Apple or Linksys update, you can try dropping N and running it in b/g mode.

3. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

The router or OSX? The router is running 'mixed'. I should run 'BG mixed'?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, BG mixed on the router.

Until Apple fixes the issue, sounds like they messed something up in the N implementation with the update.

5. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

Have you tried checking your router settings. I know my Airport Extreme has DNS settings and I've changed them before since I have a Airport Extreme and Express and had to have different DNS settings for both.

Just a suggestion, it's kinda hard to see and I don't have a Linksys router.

6. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

I dont see anything within the wireless section about DNS, only on this main page. I guess I could make some static DNS settings, but I wouldnt know what to set them as. For now its working on BG-mixed. If it screws up tomorrow, I may mess with the DNS settings before taking it back.

[​IMG]

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't know if changing to another brand will help.

Apple Discussion Topic : Leopard incompatible with 802.11n routers

8. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

9. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

This is Apples fault. 10.5 broke it for me. Setting it to bg only helped me (I have the same router, linksys n model 150) but I'm still having some problems.

10.5.1 was supposed to fix it, and it fixed some but not all of the problems. I'm still dropping sometimes, not connecting after sleep (requiring a restart), losing IP assignment. Ugh.

10. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Click on your wireless tab at the top, the select from the pull down menu:

[​IMG]

11. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

Yeah, I know how to change it to BG, but I just dont see any DNS settings under Wireless.

[​IMG]

12. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Shouldn't need to. Your ISP should give your router DNS servers automatically, and it is up to the wireless laptop to connect to the router and use the router as its DNS servers as the DNS requests that come from the computer is redirected from the router to the ISP:

Laptop DNS request -> Router -> Router passes it to ISP.