WTF were these weird pop-ups?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rossminster, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Rossminster macrumors newbie

Last night I was browsing on YouTube with the missus on the MacBook, just music videos etc.

We started getting these odd pop-up messages, like "click here to see me tortured" or "click here - I really am only 10 years old". There were two or three and were quite disturbing. Missus said to click to find out what they were. I said no way, closed down the computer and started it up again. They did not appear again.

It was rather worrying. We let the kids use this laptop. WTF was going on?

2. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

They must have been through Youtube (unless you had another site open) and they fixed it, hence the problem solving itself? Only thing I can think of.. never heard anything like that before!

3. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

I've never seen ads like that through YouTube. :eek:

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Most browsers have a popup blocker. Is yours off? I agree though, those are some bizarre ads (especially for YouTube).

5. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

By popup do you mean the windows or ads that appear on YouTube videos?

6. Rossminster thread starter macrumors newbie

They weren't the normal ads, or in the normal position of the ads on YouTube. THey were positioned randomly on the screen.

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Was it in a 'message from webpage' or a 'normal' Macintosh-style dialog box? (If so, I think it's a little Javascript trick) I have seen similar tricks like that played before, but never on YouTube. I can't see how they managed to make it work on YouTube.