WTF? When did 6% Become the New 1%?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Caliber26, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I am sooooo pissed off right now. I've had an iPhone since the 2nd generation and every single iPhone I've had (including my current 5S) has died at 1% but about a week ago I noticed that it died and when I plugged it in, it immediately powered on and it was at 6%. I don't recall seeing what percentage it was at when it died but I thought it was odd that it powered back on so quickly and that it said 6%. I've always been used to waiting about five minutes and when my phone resurrects, it's usually at 4% - not 6%.

Tonight, I found on a guy on Growlr and was on my way to his house, via Google Maps, and I saw that my phone was at 6%. I thought, "okay, cool, I have enough battery to Google myself to this guy's place" and lo and behold my phone died a few seconds later!!! Of course, this happens to be on the ONE night that I don't have my spare cord in my car. I am so incredibly angry. I could bite a puppy's head off right now.

All my iPhones have always made it down to the 1% mark before dying on me and when I plug them in they take a few minutes to come back to life and always started at 4%. Out of nowhere, my phone has started to die at 6% and come back to life the second I plug it back in and starts off at 6% again. WTF is going on? Anybody else have this happen, too?

I am so pissed off right now. This bullshhh just effed me out of a good time. :mad:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its an estimate based on usage. You were using it to the point where 6% sucked it dry pretty quickly. I'd say bringing it down to such deep drains is one recipe for shortening the battery's lifespan. I'd not drain it completely imo. Get a battery backup case or more charger cables.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

Not to mention the intensively cpu bound nature of navigation apps, drain a battery fairly quickly.

4. Mike82 macrumors member

I'd hate to be around you when something actually bad happens.

5. AaronLUFC macrumors newbie

It only gets worse. Mine used to jump from 40% down to 5% etc. By the end, my phone was running out of charge literally on 98% battery making it useless. I bought a replacement battery and it's as good as new.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know.
    I feel really bad for you OP.
    Cant believe this terrible thing is happening to you:D

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sounds like there is something wrong with your battery. You've still got warranty, so take it in and have Apple look at it. You might want to take a few deep breaths first, they're more likely to help you it you're reasonable and calm.

*edit*

Others have mentioned this but I'll also chime in. Running your battery down to 0% repeatedly isn't doing it any favors. Plug your phone in and charge it more often.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You need to grow up! When you get older you will find way more important things to get upset over. This is not the end of the world.

9. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

Mine used to do that as well, died around 8% but somehow with iOS 8 it fixed it, maybe restore your phone and see if that causes a fix. Not sure though.

10. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Anyone seen the Samsung S5 battery hype commercial, could that tech translate to future iPhones. Are they still playing "whos patent is it anyway" ?