WTF? Why is my SSD taking 42 seconds to boot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Star Nuts, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Star Nuts, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

Star Nuts macrumors member

I just replaced the HDD and the first 30 seconds are seconds are spent on a white screen and the last 12 seconds on the Apple log. I've restarted 3 times now and keep getting the same result. My HDD is in the optical bay slot and I erased it already. Do I need to do something else to let the computer know that this is the new boot drive?

Everything else is working great. My HDD was writing at 69 MB/s and reading at 90 MB/s. My SSD is now writing at 195.3 MB/s and reading at 508.9 MB/s

2. Star Nuts thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I reset the PRAM and now it boots in about 9 seconds but still takes a while to restart. Screen goes white/gray and I get a little spinning bar. Not a big deal, but still annoying.

3. mbh macrumors 6502

Check the Startup Disk preference pane and make sure your disk is selected.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

5. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

both of my SSD equipped macs take longer to restart or shutdown than they do to start up, so this may be normal.

6. Star Nuts thread starter macrumors member

Nice, I think this fixed it. Thanks.

7. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Sweet Jeebus... I'm glad I saw this thread. My old MacBook pro was taking 45 seconds to boot even with the SSD, and now its taking only 26 seconds from the time I press the button.

I had set the startup disk and repaired permissions, but never reset the pram until now.