WTF? Working out of the Trash Bin?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hannahelastic, Apr 7, 2011.

1. hannahelastic macrumors newbie

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen...and why the f is it possible?

So, we were having server issues at work and I had to move the files I was working on onto my desktop. We get the server fixed, I copy the folder I created on my desktop back to the network and move the folder on my desktop into the trash bin.

La dee da, a day or two goes by and, not thinking, I just opened one of the files from my Recent Documents in Illustrator. I started a few new files for the same project and save them in the same folder as the other ones (I didn't have to navigate to it, it just opened to the last place I saved something). Welllll...now I find out I was working out of my freaking trash bin.

Even when I click on the folder under "Places" in finder (which originally brought me to the folder on my desktop) it now brings me to the folder inside my trash bin.

Why on earth is this possible?!

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The trash can is just like any other folder in OS X.

3. hannahelastic thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, maybe my question should be, why does Mac OS X treat the trash bin like every other folder? It's not. And it doesn't treat the trash bin like every other folder in other ways...

Is it just me? That seems weird...

4. rien333 macrumors regular

It is actually is like any other folder on your system. However, it is hidden. The trash icon on your dock is the hidden folder I just mentioned with a empty the thrash button added to it.

5. hannahelastic thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so no one else thinks it's weird.

(Also, When I said "it's not." I meant that in practice (the way that people use it), the trash bin is different than every other folder. I know that in actuality it's just a hidden folder, but in practice the trash bin is not used like a folder. It's more like purgatory. I wish it wouldn't let me open things from it unless I recover them!)

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It isn't different. It is a holder of things, also known as a folder.

7. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

When I switched a year or so ago, I felt the same way. It struck me as odd that I could use files that were in the Trash, but then it occurred to me "well why not?" The Windows Recycle Bin is a "purgatory", but you can do a Shift+Delete to bypass the Recycle Bin, so frankly, what's the difference from Trash and any other folder except for the file deletion upon "Empty"?

If Mac OS lets me access the Trash like any other folder, then I say "good, let me" - why wish otherwise? If I decide I really need the file, then I'll move it to somewhere safer. Or take my chances because I chose to leave in the Trash.

8. hannahelastic thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is a folder. But unlike every other folder on my computer...there's a pretty darn good chance I don't want to keep what's in there.

All of what you're saying is good and fine, as long as you know that working out of the trash. My problem with it treating the Trash like every other folder (which to me, the Trash is slightly different than every folder in the way in which I use it. The things I think there's a small chance I might need later I put in a DELETE ME folder) is that you can unknowingly be using the trash folder.

What if I would have been working on a very large file...and then decided to empty my trash? Not to mention, I can't just pick and choose which files to delete out of the Trash folder. Yes, yes, I can drag them out and then delete. I know. Still cumbersome.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, all. I still find it weird, but I suppose I'll get over it eventually. =]