Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paul_bace

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2021
Toronto
So this is new...

Picked up a sweet deal today from a store that listed this Top Spec 2015 15" MBP at 2012 prices. It's obviously a 2015 from the GPU/Specs BUT...

When I picked it up OPLP was used for a fresh Ventura install. I assumed OCLP was causing the wrong year to show up.

Now I'm home, drive wiped, fresh Big Sur, and it's still listing as 2012.

HOW??

Everything is working, and I'm logged into iCloud no problem. '11,5' showing up everywhere it needs to be and all other specs presenting as 2015.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 8.22.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 8.22.47 PM.png
    206.7 KB · Views: 161

paul_bace

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2021
Toronto

Sorry but that page neither explains how, or what has caused this in any language I can decipher. If you understand it, perhaps you can elaborate? From my experience, I might assume it's from a board reprogram (I've had to do one after I sent a board to be repaired once). And it's been programmed incorrectly?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
The page explains it is a localization issue. When they changed the locale to a different one, e.g. Swedish, the year in the About dialog changed to the correct model year.

paul_bace

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2021
Toronto
I've most recently tried a completely different Apple SSD without Opencore ever installed. NVRAM Reset on install.

I've also tried changing languages several times.

Ultimately this isn't something that matters, I'm just super curious as to why/how this has happened, and if it's something that can be reversed/fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.