Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I just want the back lit keyboard

Saying that, I am MORE than happy with my 1GHz TiBook

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
New PB Sizes

I'm actually kind of glad about this update, I was about to purchase a new iBook, but these 12" PB's just seem like such a great deal compared to an 800 iBook. you get the G4, a much better video card, better case, and best of all, the pride that you own a ****ing PowerBook at last. it'll be my first PowerBook.

Wheeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Cutter

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2003
I know how you feel - I'm feeling burned too... Go ahead and flame me all you want. I purchased the gig powerbook at an Apple store on Dec 21 - called today and was told that they could help and connected me to another line. After waiting for 20 minutes the informed me that they could have helped if I would have made a phone/online order, but since it was at the retail store no dice - end of conversation - different company. Did anyone know about this policy difference? 10days is a bit absurd, I just assumed a 30day policy like everything else in the world. Oh well buyer beware, be burned. Come on apple I gotta nice switch story for ya.

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
Originally posted by Duff-Man
Duff-Man says...3 or 4 weeks? he said shipping next month, which in apple-speak means end of february.....also...the "old" pb's have dropped in price today too..$200 less on the 15" 1GB.....oh yeah!

Actually I just went and priced a 17 inch powerbook and it says shipping is 1-3 days, however the 12inch powerbook will not ship for 3-4 weeks, too bad the screens dont swivel around and turn them into tablets, ah well next revision.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Cutter
I know how you feel - I'm feeling burned too... Go ahead and flame me all you want. I purchased the gig powerbook at an Apple store on Dec 21 - called today and was told that they could help and connected me to another line. After waiting for 20 minutes the informed me that they could have helped if I would have made a phone/online order, but since it was at the retail store no dice - end of conversation - different company. Did anyone know about this policy difference? 10days is a bit absurd, I just assumed a 30day policy like everything else in the world. Oh well buyer beware, be burned. Come on apple I gotta nice switch story for ya.

The 10 days comes from Apple's DOA policy. That is the number of days you have to send your machine back for a replacment if it is faulty and after that the paper work comes in.

RowdyFROG

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2002
Fremantle AUS, where else?
Aw heck. I feel ripped of too. I bought a g3 250 PB 4.5 years ago. 13 inch screen and umpteen broken clutches later apple goes and upgrades to the megadonkerbook.

The ladies have always told me I'd be a more attractive proposition with 4 extra inches. I shoulda listened to those rumours and waited.

Get a grip. I'll gladly take a gigabook off your hands!

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by RowdyFROG
Aw heck. I feel ripped of too. I bought a g3 250 PB 4.5 years ago. 13 inch screen and umpteen broken clutches later apple goes and upgrades to the megadonkerbook.

The ladies have always told me I'd be a more attractive proposition with 4 extra inches. I shoulda listened to those rumours and waited.

Get a grip. I'll gladly take a gigabook off your hands!

That is understandable..... these GHz PowerBooks are a children's toy now that the 17" are out... I don't even know why they keep them in the product line up. It'll be better for you, though, to have my "old" one because, while it is not 4", any extra is better, right.
;) ;)

Ziggyzee

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2002
The reason I think it is so dramatic is because we are talking about Apple. If you want a computer you got 6 different choices. (with variations of course).

I remember buying a pc from gateway years ago. It was a 100 mhz machine. I asked gateway if they were going to upgrade any time soon. Dumb question. They said no of course. My neighbor liked it and bought one. The next week he had a 166 mhz machine with like 8 or 16 megs more of memory.

If you waited for the next uprgade on a pc you could never buy one! Jesus, you have a great machine, live with it!!!

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
he he
i got a 800 powerbook the same week the 1ghz model came out

the speed difference isn't all that much, certainly not worth a few hundred dollars....

it's really not worth upgrading unless it's at least twice as fast... and even at that it's not a huge difference. although it is nice to have the top machine he he :D

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Choppaface
he he
i got a 800 powerbook the same week the 1ghz model came out

the speed difference isn't all that much, certainly not worth a few hundred dollars....

it's really not worth upgrading unless it's at least twice as fast... and even at that it's not a huge difference. although it is nice to have the top machine he he :D

I just wanted the DVD burner. Could not imagine the bag I would need to carry a 17" PowerBook, though.... my back pack is big enough as it is

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
the 17" powerbook is meant as a portable, ok sorry, ultra-portable, DESKTOP.

look in the pc world and see that the desktop replacement notebooks they have cost just as much. smaller screens too.

the 17" is meant so you open at work, work. open at home work. not to be used so much on a train or whenever as the 15" and especially the 12"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.