WTH is this - lol

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TnDan, Jul 27, 2007.

1. TnDan macrumors newbie

First post - good to be here!

I've got a new dual quad core here at work. WTH is the screen option where the screen goes opaque and all the widows downsize to show on the screen until you click on one. You get a little discription dialogue in the middle of the pane of what it is until you click on the pane/window. Then,it friggin loops over and over - I hate this! - lol.
    Sorry for the hillbilly question, but where do I turn this off? I can't find it anywhere. Doesn't help that I'm new to 10.4. Maybe that's not realevent, but I've never encountered this before.
    Thanks in advance!!!

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It's Expose.

Go to System Preferences (under the Apple menu).

Select the Keyboard & Mouse options. If you are using a Mighty Mouse, you probably have Expose linked to the side buttons. Disable this.

Or stop squeezing your mouse! ;)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're doing it from the keyboard by accident (F9-F11, if I recall correctly?) then you might benefit from going to system preferences for now and going to keyboard & mouse -> keyboard, and toggling the option about what the function keys do (in one mode, you get things like Expose when you just press the keys; in the other mode, you only get them you press the keys along with Fn).

5. TnDan thread starter macrumors newbie

AH HA!!!

thanks all.
    My big friggin hands were the culprit- not to mention the expose setting for the side keys.
    Thanks guys.

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

try the hot corners.

a flick of the wrist is all it takes.

7. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I have helped people through this little mini-nightmare dozens of times. :)

Am I the only one that thinks that it's a really odd choice for Apple to attach Expose by default to the side buttons on the Mighty Mouse?

Remember, Apple's reasoning behind shipping the Mighty Mouse as a single button mouse is supposed to be that the user can deal with the interface on a simpler level, but yet be able to "discover" the greater complexity later by enabling the second button in preferences if they want to. By attaching Expose to the side buttons, they are enabling by default, a whiz-bang, fairly advanced feature.

Also the Mighty Mouse, like a lot of Apple's mice, is not that ergonomic to begin with and almost requires anyone with a large hand to pinch it rather vigorously ... right on the side-buttons! This virtually guarantees that anyone with large hands is going to have Expose popping up all the time. I know it happened to me as well, and I was both expecting it, and really trying not to touch the side buttons.

Another way to look at it is that you could say that they have defaulted a new advanced feature, not present in the previous OS, to new advanced buttons also not present in the previous incarnation. Add to that the basically "hidden" nature of the side-buttons and you're bound to have problems.

I have seen more than a few professors driven crazy by this for days, unwilling to admit to anyone that they didn't know what was going on or how to stop it. There are still a great deal of long-time Apple users that only know the single button mouse, and are still only vaguely aware of Expose.

8. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I second that. I know a couple of people (professors and such) who still do not know how to use expose despite that they have been shown multiple times how to use it. The fun part is that they always have around 20 windows open and they insist on moving them about, one by one, in order to get to the one they want.

EDIT. It also does not help converting them to new tricks that the Spotlight is so slow, even on G5 iMacs, that it can not be relied upon in daily work.

9. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

I like Expose. :) Maybe because I do not have too big hands. Or not too small... :eek:

Cheers. :apple: