WTH is this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Turian.Spectre, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

this appeared on my moms MB 6,1 model as she was transferring some pics from a flash drive to a larger external hdd. Nothing would work and the only thing to do is what the windows said. There was also a Finder error code -36 message. After she restarted, some of those pics were corrupted files...

Is this a virus? or what?

Attached Files:

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think it's a kernel panic. Like the Windows BSOD.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

FYI, kernel panics are *EXTREMELY* rare, and in general are almost always indicators of a hardware problem. I haven't seen a single kernel panic on any of my several Macs in I'd guess about 3 or 4 years.

5. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

Should I take it in to the apple store? seems to be fine now. I think it was just that flash drive my mom was using. One of those "Cruizer" (?) thumb types, with the sliding white button that turns red-pink when in use. My guess is that she maybe was moving a folder with windows system files, and thats why the mac freaked out.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

If it starts to happen more frequently, I would take it in. However, I do not think one time should cause much alarm, at least it hasn't when I have received them

7. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

A bad storage drive (be it flash, or hard disk, or whatever) is a hardware problem that definitely can cause a kernel panic. If it only happened when the flash drive was connected and then doesn't ever happen again when it's not connected, then that flash drive was faulty. Just don't ever put that flash drive into again and if it never kernel panics again then the Mac is perfectly fine.