Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matth3w

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
I have been getting around 0.2kbps downloading apps and songs from iTunes.

I have tried everything, from switching DNS to Google/OpenDNS, rebooting router, etc. I'm getting 25.71mbps download in the internet health test. But about .2kbps from the iTunes store. Hours to download an app, 30 minutes to download a song.

I'm not using CenturyLink, which people keep bringing up. I have Time Warner Cable, an E3200 Cisco Router, and Arris cable modem.

striders

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Dude... I have the same exact problem, but I am not sure if this is just iTunes/App Store or my iPad.

Anyway, download from iTunes takes ages. Large games (100mb+) takes 1 hour. Speed Test shows I have good speed. YouTube, NetFlix, etc. all streams great.

I have the iPad Mini LTE and whether I use cellular or WiFi, iTunes and App Store download is super slow.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm seeing the same thing, but not always. It will work fast for days, then one morning all of a sudden back to the sluggo downloads. I too have tried everything OP mentioned.

Just based on all the posts here and in the Apple forums on this, I'm starting to think there is nothing wrong on our end and Apple is having sporadic problems with their CDN setup.

Reactions: tonyr6

Matth3w

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Found this solution elsewhere, this fixed it for me:

Close your iTunes,
Go to command Prompt -

(Win 7/Vista) - START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES, right mouse click "Command Prompt", choose "Run as Administrator".

(Win XP SP2 & above) - START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/Command Prompt

In the "Command Prompt" screen, type in

netsh winsock reset

Hit "ENTER" key
Restart your computer.
If you do get a prompt after restart windows to remap LSP, just click NO.

Now launch your iTunes and see if it is working now.

If you are still having these type of problems after trying the winsock reset, refer to this article to identify which software in your system is inserting LSP:

iTunes 10.5 for Windows: May see performance issues and blank iTunes Store
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4123?viewlocale=en_US

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I too have experienced this issue on iOS 8.4.1 on my iPad Mini 2 and iPhone 6 Plus, although the iPhone is much rarer than slow speeds for App Store on the iPad.

hokiemas

macrumors member
May 26, 2015
I've had this issue with Apple Music. I recently had to redownload a lot of music for offline play, and it took FOREVER. My internet generally runs around 20 mbs. I experienced this on my iPhone. Later, when I decided to just start over, it was blazing fast. Not sure what the deal is.

ChinkyBob

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
HI guys, I am having a problem on my iPad air that I can barely download anything from the app store. The browsing is all fine. This is not the first apple device this has happened on. Im not sure if I fixed it on my mac air or mac mini but on both I am getting excellent speeds on browsing and youtube. Today it took 10 mins to download a 1.5meg file from App store over a 50mbps fibre optic. A 80mb youtube vid took just a 2 to 5 mins.
It ONLY happens on the App Store.
Please help.
Cheers.
bob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.