Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
So apparently Anandtech is no longer doing smartphone reviews anymore? :(

That’s a shame as I always enjoyed reading their super detailed analysis with great information not covered by Apple... rather than the hundreds of other “reviews” (i.e. Verge, Endgadget, Youtubers, etc) which are really just boring regurgitation of spec sheets & keynote points looking for page clicks.

Was looking forward to eventually seeing them work their magic on the 8/8+ or X but I guess they just threw in the towel without telling anyone. They still do lots of reviews for all other sorts of tech, but the last smartphone review was back in January 2017 for the Huawei Mate 9 :oops:

Last edited:

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Probably because whenever they said anything remotely positive about an iPhone they were accused of being biased and the whole review written off.

Not sure that is the case since they still reviewed Android phones as well. Of course as a review site you’ll always have the hecklers who complain about anything but I would think this was more of a business decision on their end.

Maybe the smartphone reviews just took too long to push out? Seems like a strange move to me though as Anandtech really started to become popular based on the strength of their smartphone reviews. I wonder how far down their web traffic numbers are now.

Either way I just wish there was another site that gave super detailed reviews & information not covered by Apple, but I guess we are simply stuck with keynote / spec sheet regurgitation type “reviews” for the foreseeable future :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
What is your source?

That said I rather wont them to spend their time on what they are good at. So instead of a me-too review, I rather they dive down in depth to dig up some technical information and benchmrks, that you want find in any other review.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
What is your source?

Anandtech.com
That said I rather want them to spend their time on what they are good at. So instead of a me-too review, I rather they dive down in depth to dig up some technical information and benchmrks, that you want find in any other review.

That's exactly what they used to do before they stopped reviewing smartphones in Janurary :(

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
I don't see any statement about on their frontpage, can you give a link directly to the announcement?

Go on the website and try to find a detailed smartphone review in the last 10 months. I wasn't able to...

Now they simply have shallow articles like this which is simply a regurgitation of Apples keynote :(

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Go on the website and try to find a detailed smartphone review in the last 10 months. I wasn't able to...

Now they simply have shallow articles like this which is simply a regurgitation of Apples keynote :(
Well Your title make it sounds like an official politic change, when in reality it is an assumption you're making.

I am sure there will be further smartphone tests, when they are up to it.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Well Your title make it sounds like an official politic change, when in reality it is an assumption you're making.

I am sure there will be further smartphone tests, when they are up to it.

That'd be like if you came home one day and your girlfriend & her stuff were gone. 10-months later a friend says "Its been 10-months man, she's obviously not coming back." and you respond with "You're just making an assumption. She hasn't actually made an official announcement. I'm sure she'll be back when she's up to it." :p

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
That is a ridiculous statement.
I was only offering it as a contributory factor or possibility. Their reviews in recent years have often been met with negativity despite being very good. Perhaps it was time to focus energy elsewhere.

What is your opinion on this apart from suggesting my contribution is ridiculous? Do you have anything of value to add?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.