Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Just kinda notice there's a red light visible through the front mesh, on opening the side door, the light seems to be coming from one of the four LED's on the lower memory riser. On closer inspection, the label says DIMM 2.

I've tried swapping, moved some ram about.. and the light still appears (on the same riser). Does this mean that riser has developed a fault?

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
I had that happen, it was due to my ram going bad, luckily the company replaced it with a new one. When you click on the "About This Mac" button under the Apple icon at the top left, how much ram does it say the Mac Pro has?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I had that happen, it was due to my ram going bad, luckily the company replaced it with a new one. When you click on the "About This Mac" button under the Apple icon at the top left, how much ram does it say the Mac Pro has?
Oh...

I installed 16Gb of ram (2Gb x4, 4Gb x2).. now it's only showing 8Gb. Nothing on the second riser is showing. Even when I swap the modules about the second riser still shows the same red light. Think it's safe to assume the riser if faulty?

hyram

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
I had the same problem a couple of months back. Appeared to be a memory card going bad. Wound up that it was just the first sign of the PSU failing. Took about two weeks before the MP just shut down. I hope yours is the riser... cheaper and easier to replace.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
OK... Wanna know something completely weird?

Just booted up the system and the little light has gone off!!! And since last night I've made no modifications to the system, not even install software.

What's going on?? :confused::confused::confused:

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
OK... Wanna know something completely weird?

Just booted up the system and the little light has gone off!!! And since last night I've made no modifications to the system, not even install software.

What's going on?? :confused::confused::confused:

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Get it looked at or run AHT yourself. If you take it in, ask the Genius Bar to run diagnostics for you and make sure nothing is wrong.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Get it looked at or run AHT yourself. If you take it in, ask the Genius Bar to run diagnostics for you and make sure nothing is wrong.

Better yet.. What version of ASD would i need for a late 2008 MP (5400 Series), model ID MacPro3,1 ?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
ads 3s123 covers the early 2008 mp is that the one you mean?

Cool!! Thanks.

Woooo!!!! Today, a new replacement Card Riser arrived.
So it's out with the old! :):):)

img05450.jpg

....what to do with the old one???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.