WWDC - 2 thoughts

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by t0mat0, May 12, 2008.

1. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

1) pre-preparing guides for the iTablet and 3G iPhones
    - Would it be possible to make a skeleton for the new iphone (range) and possibly the iTablet in the guide section?

My thinking being - we're sure 3G iPHones are coming out. The keynote will come thick and fast, and if we had a macrumors guide ready, staff &/or macrumors members could just fill in the gaps - and "boom" - you've got an instant professional wiki guide to the new product?

2) How's macrumors' going to cover WWDC? (PS - just read Kim's blog and have got to http://normalkid.com/2008/01/22/macrumors-macworld-coverage-success-and-sleeping-on-the-sidewalk/
    - That's dedication! We appreciate it :) )
    linking to the above - i'm sure the collective might of macrumors member's could be harnessed to collate the info in super duper time - kinda like an speeded up wiki formation.

Anyway, would be interested to hear thoughts.
    Yours, a v2 iPhone waiter & macrumor member.

Edit: There is already legitimate info we know - includes 3G chip, carriers and countries etc. I'm just thinking in terms of getting a finished guide out there, and the site's reputation. might be cool to try as an experiment?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I don't know what I think about the tablet computer being announced. It is possible but I personally think that if Apple were releasing one it probably will not come at this year's WWDC. Just my opinion.

As far as how Macrumors will cover it. I would really like to see them do what they did for Macworld this year by providing web updates to both a regular browser as well as to the iPhone. The mobile version that they had for the iPhone this year was done really well.

Those are my thoughts on the items you listed. I do think that WWDC will be heavily focused on the iPhone version 2, iPhone SDK, the iPhone 2.0 software, and the iTunes App Store.

3. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'm primarily seeing if I can get permission to set up a forward looking article at
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Category:iPhone
    I'm not too concerned with the iTablet if it comes out - it's likely to be Apple's take on the Wacom tablet in a way.

I'm hoping we'll get regularly similar to WWDC. My thoughts are whether we could mash that back up into a macrumors guide to the iPhone in record time using the wiki style by creating a skeleton guide prior to the announcement, then filling it in real time.
    Some of the time is getting all the titles and sections, and places for photos, the rest is for adding the content.

E.G. If you look at http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone_FAQ you could easily get something ready for 3G iPhones, all set up, just waiting to add the data. That way, it'd be much more presentable in less time.
    Something like http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone could also be used as a template, to make a skeleton form, for the data on the day to be slotted into. It just makes a nice link away from front page (A list of buillet points isn't as nice as a well structured guide for information, with the pictures from the keynote put in their respective places.)

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think general improvements to the guides, especially the iPhone FAQ article would probably be more welcome ;). Getting more people to edit all of the weaker/out of date articles to improve them would be more useful. You only need 5 posts to help.

5. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

Taken on board. Would prefer to do the 3G iphone 1st, but will have a look.
    Is 6502 enough? ;)

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Do what you want, its a voluntary effort anyway ;).

7. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

I just want official permission - i'm looking to make a document at the http://guides.macrumors.com/Category:iPhone level .
    I don't want to get mods on my back for not getting permission.

You're down as Contributor - what status is that? Sorry for the lack of knowledge :)

I'm ideally looking for a Mod to get in contact on this thread, but i'll see if I can holler one through the appropriate channels.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Contributor means a financial contributor to the site.

You don't need permission from anyone to create a wiki page and give it a category (to make it Category:iPhone level), just go right ahead.

9. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

It's probably best to avoid putting up speculative content unless it's clearly marked as such (for example we used to have a page called iPhone (Rumored) before the iPhone was announced).

From my experience from the last few keynotes, where I've tended to be the one updating the Guides, pages prepared in advance didn't help hugely. When I did try using them, I'd save them on my computer, and then only upload them to the Guides after the product had been officially announced (after making the necessary changes). However, I found that most of the content I'd prepared was of little use, and it only saved a few minutes during the event. Each hour spent writing speculative content probably only saves about ten minutes of editing after announcements, so it's usually not worth it unless something is almost certain.

Having said that, if you want to write some content in preparation, the best way to do so would be either to save it locally, provided that you'll upload it as soon as the announcement is made (ie within a minute or two - otherwise someone else will probably beat you to it if it's during a keynote), or alternatively put the content on a relevant page on the Guides but comment it out so that it's not visible to regular readers (using the HTML comment tags: <!-- and -->). I'll probably be updating the Guides again for WWDC this year, so if you're going to be preparing content you might want to liaise with me.

10. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

i'd fully indicate it was a) A skeleton to be fleshed out once the announcement comes and b) that it was clearly marked

We've got a lot of certains it seems. Either way, might be fun as a speculative resource to collate together rumours even if it doesn't pan out as too useful in terms of speeding up a source of info on the new iPhone.

I'd like to liase - is it ok to make a new doc, and use the tags. What i can do is spend a little while, pop a document up, pass you the link?

Those 10 minutes per hour preparation are pretty worthwhile, when you're getting huge hits from people wanting to find a site with the best info on the announcements I imagine.

11. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

The current plan is to have the same setup in place for WWDC as was used for Macworld.

12. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

Done. Thanks for the HTML comment tags: <!-- and --> tip - Critically useful (and also not in the editing help section popout!). It's at http://guides.macrumors.com/2nd_Generation_iPhone_(Rumors)
    and I'm hoping to clear it up pronto. For now, a page under development.