WWDC 2012 - Macbook Air refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by alphaxono, Apr 25, 2012.

1. alphaxono macrumors member

I wonder if the new Ivy Bridge ULV will be out by then and if Apple will update the Macbook Air at WWDC.

I am lugging around a 15 Macbook Pro 2010 and I really really want a 11" Macbook Air since I travel every week and my back is starting to feel the weight. I'm guessing Ivy Bridge will bring a bit more performance for my
    future VM, hopefully 8 GB RAM and slightly bigger screen with less bezel.

2. jj48 macrumors regular

I'd be surprised if they update the MBA at WWDC. I'd also be surprised (in a nice way) if the RAM is bumped and the bezel is narrowed.

3. scarred macrumors 6502a

It is a very safe bet that the Air will be refreshed sometime this summer with Ivy Bridge. When? That's anyones guess... I would have expected a few more rumours to have been leaked if it was "soon". Might be "late summer" with ML.

4. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

There have been no hardware announcements at the past several WWDCs ... six, if memory serves. While it's certainly not impossible, I'd say a significant release like upgraded MBAs isn't particularly probable.

Here's hoping I'm proven wrong!

5. smalltimewine macrumors newbie

Your memory may not be entirely accurate.

From the keynotes (at times hardware is announced during the week):
    2011 - no hardware
    2010 - iPhone 4
    2009 - iPhone 3GS, 13" Macbook Pro (updates to 15"/17")
    2008 - iPhone 3G
    2007 - no hardware
    2006 - MacPro
    2005 - Announced move to Intel (sort of a hardware announcement, even if not new products)
    2004 - New Cinema displays
    2003 - PowerMac G5

That being said, it does seem that Apple is positioning WWDC back to a conference focused on OS and software development. Hardware announcements are moving to special events and store-only updates.

6. colour macrumors regular

What this means is that now we have no idea when apple expects to release its products.

7. Yixian macrumors 65816

Any chance of a release before June (when I need it) or shall I just buy now?

8. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Personally, I would like to see a black bezel on the MBA. I'm fairly satisfied with the aesthetics of the current MBA's/MBP's, though I'm extremely curious to see what Sir Ive has been working on.

9. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Zero. The dual-core Ivy Bridge CPUs are not out until June.

10. Yixian macrumors 65816

I should be a lil more specific I guess:

See I'm going to Africa at the very end of June and need a MBA to take with me. I'll probably get the i5 anyway but if new MBAs are released than those will obviously decrease in price on eBay.

Should I buy now or worth waiting?

Thanks dude!

11. amien macrumors member

Buy now .. i also waited 2 months and got tired of waiting. The i5 is a create machine and it's totally unclear when the ivy bridge will popup, what the prices will be. it might take over 3 months before the ivy bridge airs will be widely available in the stores.

i'm only missing 8GB in my air instead of 4. If the ivy bridge will come out, i will take one of those. I just take my price drop loss.

12. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

End of June, that's more realistic. I would only buy now if you can get a steal, since the new one's will be far and away better (Ivy Bridge, Intel HD 4000, USB 3.0, 8 GB RAM possibility), or a nice discount on current models. Wait until a week-10 days before you leave to make your purchase.

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I will eat my sock if the next air has USB 3.0. No way it will happen. I'll believe that maybe the next thunderbolt display might have a USB 3.0 port on it.

Also, Apple recently has been fond of tying hardware releases to OS releases. That said, if there are going to be IB MBAs, they won't be out until ML is done, which is late summer (August / September).

There might not even by any IB MBAs at all. Apple has been known to pass or skip generations of intel processors. How long did the MBA have a Core 2 Duo in it, meanwhile all the other Macbooks were rocking Core i-somethings?

14. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Ivy Bridge has USB 3.0 on the chipset. All Ivy Bridge Macs will have USB 3.0.

I'll eat both of my socks if Apple pulls something stupid to take them out.

Also, there will be an Ivy Bridge MBA. MBA is now a mainstream notebook, since the MacBook is now gone. The MBA before was an extreme luxury, thus, wasn't updated as often.

15. Yixian macrumors 65816

Thing is my budget is about £700 so I'll only be able to get a current model anyway, they run about that price on eBay (new) but I guess that'll drop £100 or so when the new ones *ship*, so I'll wait a bit and just see if there's a chance of them shipping in June, but from the sound of it that seems unlikely.

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Well, looks like one of us will be eating sock before fall :)

17. atMac macrumors 6502

I am more hoping for an iWork update to add iCloud support.

18. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

If the next line of MacBooks do not have USB 3.0 then Tim Cook should need Secret Service protection.

The Airs went mainstream when Apple slashed the price from above the 15" Pro to $1,299-.

If Apple wanted market share they could own what HP has within three years by -profitably- selling the 13" Pro for $899 and the !3" Air for $999. You can accurately peg the prices of everything else from this.

Dell would have left the consumer market, HP would be struggling to stay alive there, Sony, Toshiba and Acer would be gone, and only Samsung and Asus would in the game.

19. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Apart from minor performance and battery boosts with IvyBridge, neither of which will probably affect you greatly, I say, get a current one, you can always sell it n for a small drop and spend a couple hundred extra (insert currency here) to get the new one once it is launched.

Besides, I recall getting my New MBP a couple of weeks after launch, it had massive overheating issues, so I had to replace it, so getting a new machine immeiately after launch may prove a problem, especially if you get it a week before you travel, and discover the issue mid-flight.

Although, I know you can claim a portion of the tax back at the airport if bought within 30 days of travel (in Australia anyway) so that is something else to consider.

20. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Hope you like toe-jam, because USB3 is built into the ivy bridge chipset. Apple would have to specifically disable USB3 support, which they won't do.

It will cost them nothing to implement. It will be there, guaranteed, on ivy bridge machines.

Also: the only reason the 2010 MBA was stuck on the core 2 is because of the intel-nvidia legal issues which meant that they had to trade-off between having a decent GPU or CPU and GPU was considered more important. Sandy Bridge's GPU was MUCH more advanced that what they would have been forced to make do with if they went for a first generation I series CPU in the 2010 MBA.

21. raftr macrumors regular

If you don't need the computer to be super-fast, you might want to settle on a 2010 model, with Core2Duo processor.

Benefit: much better battery performance.

Either way, your best bet is Apple Refurb Store:
    http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/11

22. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Will they be previously worn, or fresh from the drawer?:eek::D

23. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Fresh would be too easy. My socks after 5 miles of biking.

24. LaWally macrumors 6502a

With a YouTube video of the event?

25. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

That's nasty crap. ;)