Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the beginning of this year's WWDC, Apple has set out another marketing campaign on Twitter by enabling a special Twitter hashflag with the "#WWDC21" hashtag across the social network. This year's hashflag includes an icon resembling the thumbs-up Tapback effect from iMessage.

WWDC-2021-Twitter-Hashflag.jpg

According to Jane Manchun Wong's Hashflag Browser, the new hashflag will last until June 6, one day short of when the developers conference will begin. While unclear, the new hashflag seems to be a "pre-conference" hashflag rather than the hashflag used throughout the conference. Apple, could, of course, extend this hashflag beyond June 6.

Normally, such as in the past with the latest April 20 "Spring Loaded" event, there is a special animation when liking tweets with the corresponding event hashtag. At the time, the WWDC hashflag includes no such animation. However, given it ends on June 6, Apple may be planning other hashflags that will run throughout the week of the conference.

WWDC officially kicks off on June 7 at 10 a.m PT with a keynote where we're expecting to see iOS 15, iPadOS 15, macOS 12, tvOS 15, and watchOS 8. Some tenuous rumors also suggest that the announcement of the long-awaited redesigned MacBook Pro will also make an appearance at the conference.

Article Link: WWDC 2021 Twitter Hashflag Goes Live

StupidOpinion

macrumors regular
May 14, 2021
any chance that the macbook 14" replaces the current m1 version or is the 14" gonna start at a premium? if we can get a 10 cpu core (2 + 8), 16 GPU core, miniLED as the entry level macbook pro 14", that would be awesome.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
any chance that the macbook 14" replaces the current m1 version or is the 14" gonna start at a premium? if we can get a 10 cpu core (2 + 8), 16 GPU core, miniLED as the entry level macbook pro 14", that would be awesome.
Seems like this will replace the higher end 13” and not the low end.

Reactions: Captain Trips

deanforwin

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2021
I heard they'll be releasing white bezel laptops. Which makes me happy I already have the M1 Air.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Oh great, another hashflag. Apple's marketing graphic design intern works full steam, wish we could say the same about their product and UX designers. :/

Last edited:
Reactions: Naraxus

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
My greatest wish is for a fully-integrated web framework running Swift on the front and back ends (maybe it compiles to JS to send to the client or something). But, I doubt it will ever happen.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
WTF is a Twitter Hashflag?
I had to look into this as MacRumors didn’t do a great job of explaining it.

From what I can gather, it specifically refers, in this case, to the chat bubble icon with the thumbs up which will be automatically placed at the end of any use of the #WWDC21 hashtag on Twitter.

It’s a “marketing tool” that companies like Apple pay Twitter for. And they’re very expensive. Supposedly the Super Bowl hashflag cost the NFL over a million dollars.

Reactions: wilhoitm

Mutepointer

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2018

Ahead of the beginning of this year's WWDC, Apple has set out another marketing campaign on Twitter by enabling a special Twitter hashflag with the "#WWDC21" hashtag across the social network. This year's hashflag includes an icon resembling the thumbs-up Tapback effect from iMessage.

WWDC-2021-Twitter-Hashflag.jpg

According to Jane Manchun Wong's Hashflag Browser, the new hashflag will last until June 6, one day short of when the developers conference will begin. While unclear, the new hashflag seems to be a "pre-conference" hashflag rather than the hashflag used throughout the conference. Apple, could, of course, extend this hashflag beyond June 6.

Normally, such as in the past with the latest April 20 "Spring Loaded" event, there is a special animation when liking tweets with the corresponding event hashtag. At the time, the WWDC hashflag includes no such animation. However, given it ends on June 6, Apple may be planning other hashflags that will run throughout the week of the conference.

WWDC officially kicks off on June 7 at 10 a.m PT with a keynote where we're expecting to see iOS 15, iPadOS 15, macOS 12, tvOS 15, and watchOS 8. Some tenuous rumors also suggest that the announcement of the long-awaited redesigned MacBook Pro will also make an appearance at the conference.

Article Link: WWDC 2021 Twitter Hashflag Goes Live
It’s called a hashtag, but whatever. 🤔

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I had to look into this as MacRumors didn’t do a great job of explaining it.

From what I can gather, it specifically refers, in this case, to the chat bubble icon with the thumbs up which will be automatically placed at the end of any use of the #WWDC21 hashtag on Twitter.

It’s a “marketing tool” that companies like Apple pay Twitter for. And they’re very expensive. Supposedly the Super Bowl hashflag cost the NFL over a million dollars.

Reading your answer and seeing what it is, I have never felt both as old + outside of the target demographic, as I do right now. :confused:

Freeangel1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
I'm going to stop watching IF:
1) The Next macOS is ARM only.
2) If the next macOS prohibits installs outside the App Store.

• Haha
Reactions: wilhoitm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.