Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple does not plan to hold a traditional in-person WWDC event this year, the company will invite select developers and students to attend a special event at the Apple Park campus in Cupertino, California.

apple-park-special-event-2024.jpg

On Monday, June 10, Apple will host a keynote viewing party to let attendees watch the pre-recorded unveiling of new software updates. Apple also promises "exciting new programming," an opportunity to meet with Apple experts, and other "special activities."

At last year's special event, developers and students were provided with refreshments in the morning, followed by the keynote event. The Platforms State of the Union followed, and there were two Apple Park tours to choose from. The day ended with the Apple Design Awards and an evening dinner.

Note that there will be a reception event at Apple's Infinite Loop campus on Sunday, June 9, where attendees can pick up their badges early.

Prior to 2020, the Worldwide Developers Conference was an in-person event that was hosted in San Jose, California. Developers were required to pay $1,599 to purchase a ticket to attend, and space was limited. Starting in 2020, Apple turned WWDC into an online event open to all developers, but there have been small in-person events at Apple Park since 2022.

Lottery Selection

Apple is inviting a limited number of developers and students to Apple Park for the special event, and attendees will be selected through a lottery process.

Who is Eligible to Attend

Current Apple Developer Program or Apple Developer Enterprise Program members can ask to attend, as can Apple Entrepreneur Camp alumni and Swift Student Challenge winners from 2022 to 2024.

350 Swift Student Challenge winners are set to be announced on Thursday, March 28. 50 Distinguished Winners will receive an invite to a special three-day experience that includes the special event on June 10.

Both adults and children aged 13 to 17 can apply, but children will need to be accompanied by a legal guardian.

How to Register for Apple's Special Event

Those eligible to enter the lottery can do so on Apple's developer website through the special event request page. Apple is accepting requests to attend through 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on Wednesday, April 3.

Attendees chosen by the random selection process will be informed about their status by the end of the day on Thursday, April 4.

Costs

There is no cost to attend the special event at Apple Park, but Apple will not cover transportation. Out-of-state attendees will need to purchase plane tickets, accommodations at nearby hotels, and will need to find a way to get to Apple Park on the day of the event.

Media

In addition to inviting developers and students, Apple will likely extend invitations to select members of the media. Media invites for the Apple Park event have not yet gone out.

WWDC Details

WWDC 2024 will take place from Monday, June 10 to Friday, June 14. Developers who are not selected to attend can watch the June 10 keynote event on Apple's website or on YouTube.

For those unable to watch the live stream, or who prefer to read a text version of the announcements, we'll have live WWDC 2024 coverage both here on MacRumors.com and through our MacRumorsLive Twitter account, so make sure to follow.

Apple also plans to share all of the WWDC sessions and events in its Developer app and on a new Apple Developer YouTube channel.

Article Link: WWDC 2024 Will Include In-Person Special Event at Apple Park

19callum93

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Hoping iOS 18 lives up to the rumours. Otherwise this will be a very disappointing keynote.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hmmm, evidence that Apple is overwhelmed. A non-mysterious event logo, prerecorded keynote.

I'll never say they've stopped innovating, because I'm aware that much of their hard work is hidden beneath the surface, not always outward-facing changes.

The biggest announcement that they could make would involve opening up iCloud with Web APIs like every other cloud company offers.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I've been fed up with these Apple's pre-recorded woke and overacting presentations.

I miss the basic black screen with some single words on it. All this zoom in and out to different locations with a different speaker every other minute is so distracting and does not grab my attention as much as the previous way of doing it

Maigrais

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
I honestly prefer the old school live events when the presenters walk on stage and give humanly demos. These pre-recorded events suck and I don't think anybody at Apple knows it. Apple should reserve introducing iPad Pros & Airs until this event.

Last edited:

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
I'm really surprised people want to bring back live events. The WWDC 2023 keynote was already over 2 hours, can you imagine how long it would be if people were reacting to every little thing? I'm busy, I don't need it to be drawn out.
I used to hate when people clap after every single thing Apple said, which slowed everything down and became annoying

realtired

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2024
Been keeping an eye out for iPad news for the past couple months and this is the result. See y’all in a few months…

Zboi

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2020
And the crowd goes mild! Seriously though after the whole lackluster Vision Pro with ten years of development and the cancellation of many projects, does anyone really expect Apple to put something together in a year that’s useable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.