WWDC Hardware Event

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mister Bumbo, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

In several threads at the moment people are talking about the big Apple letdown, how Apple sucks, how people feel betrayed and yada-yada-yada. This because new iMacs weren't announced or refreshed at the WWDC keynote.

I just thought I'd remind people that WWDC is not a hardware event, it never was about hardware and is not by any means an official hardware unveiling event. It's 99% about developers and what interests them and 1% wow-factor for publicity and attention.

The total refresh of the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lines this year does make sense in relation to the new Retina MacBook Pro to draw attention to this new product. The Mac Pro was a silent refresh, a pitiful one at that, and since the Mac Pro isn't really a consumer product that's affected by Apple's marketing techniques as much as their other products I wouldn't read too much into it being refreshed at this time.

If history proves anything it's that what happens at WWDC doesn't really affect any timelines not relevant to the WWDC of that year. Now don't get me wrong, I want a new iMac and I would have loved to see new ones out by now. But the fact that there wasn't any refresh during a software event, at the end of the day, means nothing.

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

You know what? If we didn't see a part list with "iMac" listed on it, and then "iMac" scratched out and replaced by "Retina MacBook" at the last minute, there probably would be less animosity.

3. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Sure, it's a developer's conference - but they DO release new hardware during the keynote. They've never introduced a new iMac during the keynote though, AFAIK.