WWDC - iOS and Lion together... connection?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Apr 18, 2010
    With Windows 8 being unveiled and introducing deep touch integration, could we see something similar from Apple? Lion taking cues from iOS? Something radically new for a desktop OS?

IMO, it could be something like that, since they are dedicating the whole conference to these two(iOS, Lion).
  2. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2009
    Central FL
    I think the OS on iMac will eventually include a touch screen capability. If and when it will do away with a keyboard I don't know and hope not for a while. iOS can have many great improvements and hope it will soon.

As for the iOS on iPhone now? I like it just fine. Any improvements to what is already a great product are just sugar on the desert to me!
  3. saving107 macrumors 603

Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    No because Apple already previewed Mac OS X Lion back in October and has already released 3 developer previews. Apple said that they would release Lion this Summer, and with whispers claiming that it's almost ready to go Gold Master with a possible release date being announced at WWDC, it's too late for any radical changes to be made without delaying the release to late Summer or even Fall.
  4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

Apr 6, 2007
    It might, but in a very limited basis. I'm actually surprised that Microsoft is really trying to trot this out as a primary interface for Windows 8. I don't think they've really tried it in a real world setting.

The problem is ergonomics, and it's already been looked at and addressed by Steve at one of these events. People's arms tend to get tired after a while if they have to interact with an upright, fixed screen. Touch interfaces work on ipads and iPhones because you can hold them in your hand or down on a flat surface, where your arm won't get tired.

Touchpads on a flat surface (similar to where the keyboard would be) are better, and OS X/Apple already has the magic pad which does that well.

It's still gonna be a long while before the keyboard and mouse are done away with. Probably about the same time that we see iPads and similar tablets finally get the same level of functionality and power as laptops and notebooks.
  5. mltaylor macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2011

After seeing the Windows 8 preview I just can't see myself using it.

It looks awesome and nice but when it comes to practical everyday computing I'd much rather use my mac or windows 7
  6. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Mar 17, 2009
    I agree that I wouldn't want to use the touch screen interface on my PC, but on a tablet or phone I would.
  7. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Since we already had the preview we see apple marching towards unifying the two OS's. That is Lion is becoming more iOS like