WWDC iPhone 4 problem, related to reception maybe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Redcow, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Redcow macrumors newbie

Do you guys think the problem Steve had at the WWDC was that he was not holding it with a case, and that's why it didn't load?

The other iPhone loaded perfectly fine and it wasn't the iPhone 4, this makes me think it wasn't necessarily WIFI related.

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

No. The phone was on WiFi. I was in the room. No device could get any WiFi service.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Even still, it's a bit of a coincidence don't you think?

Although, I'm pretty sure the iPhone 4 wasn't being held, it was flat on a table.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

He was letting it sit on the fingers of his left hand. He wasn't even gripping it.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You're right, the iPhone 4 is so defective that it affects WiFi too, and so much so that it killed wifi for all devices in the entire venue. :rolleyes:

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Can't tell if you're joking, needs more blue text.

Sarcasm, brill, I don't remember reading any stories from any of the blogs saying wifi was an issue, but there we go.

8. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

If you're referring to the "official" WWDC video at Apple.com, it's pretty censored and cut up, missing all the actual good and useful portions related to the iPhone 4 hands-on demo.

"This is the video you've been looking for."

As has been noted in other posts/threads, when watching this video, pay close attention to the fact that the iPhone 3GS has no issues, that it's on the same Wi-Fi network, apparently using the same AT&T 3G service as well, and it works - for all intents and purposes - flawlessly, even in spite of their being such a massive amount of signal interference in that conference hall.

The iPhone 4 in the same situation, under the same interference? Utter fail. :(

And there were 3 different iPhone 3GS and 3 different iPhone 4 models they cycled through during that demo - the iPhone 3GS never skipped a beat, and all 3 of the iPhone 4's choked and simply failed.

Even if you're saying they were only using Wi-Fi, the iPhone 3GS worked every time, the iPhone 4? Not once, that I could see.

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Exactly, that's my point, even if it was a massive wifi problem that apparently affected everyone, why was the 3Gs fine, where as the 4 just couldn't do anything.

10. dark1x macrumors newbie

Actually, the antenna problem isn't the biggest problem right now. The phone has a difficult time with 3G data randomly in a way that previous iPhones did not.

I have not seen this on WiFi so the stage demo was unrelated, but that is the kind of behavior that a lot of us are encountering at points during the day (full 3G bars - no data).

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Then explain why, after everyone had decreased the number of wifi signals, iPhone 4 was good for Facetime?

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Really, because it looked to me like it lagged at the start... Hell, SJ even said it lagged.

13. Billy Mays macrumors member

There's no way to confirm they were connected to the same WiFi, ergo, channel or frequency so it's all hypothetical.

14. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I would agree it was because of all the WiFi devices, I have noticed lately when I turn on WiFi on my phone, there are way more routers or hotspots that pop up, so think about 200 ppl in the tech field all using phones and devices like that, I don't think any device could manage 50-100 WiFi hotspots without trouble, and you can't compare his Facetime call bc it was WiFi not on normal airwaves.