WWDC? Is it going to be Good - Bad - or Ugly...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by d-m-a-x, May 30, 2013.

1. d-m-a-x macrumors 6502

Yes, yet another is the Mac Pro dead thread. Should we make it interesting and get a pool going?

----------

20 bucks say they screw it up, 10 says it's decent, but gets delayed for 6 months after announced

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Well, the trend the have been following with me would indicate that they would remove feature(s) that I use daily, so I took my chances and got a 2012 before they could do so. They are removing optical drives left and right, even on desktops (!) and laptops, removing Gigabit Ethernet ports on the retina MacBook Pro models, and making them less and less serviceable.

They could knock it out of the park with some very powerful dual processors with six or eight cores each, high end graphics, USB3, SATA III or SAS, Thunderbolt, Blu ray, etc. But I doubt it.

I am very pleased with my machine.

3. d-m-a-x thread starter macrumors 6502

Dual Socket Xeon - either sandy or ivy, and 3 Pci slots. That is all i ask

4. maxosx macrumors 68020

I'll be there as I have every year. Its best to go in with zero expectations, listen and observe. One never knows what's going to be said, especially in these tumultuous times for Apple. No matter how they spin it, with the executive shake ups, and one of the longest periods of time without any significant new product announcements, this keynote should be very interesting.

5. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

...Indifferent

I'd be surprised if the Mac Pro is even mentioned once by Apple during WWDC. I don't think they will kill it; updates will occur, in some manner, later this year.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

Since WWDC is about developing software WWDC can still be a very good conference even if a new MacPro is not announced or released. It is not the MacPro Developer Conference and I would bet that the MacPro is not the most widely used Mac used for Mac OS and iOS development.

Apple is not going to go backwards and use PCI slots which are even older technology then what is in the current MacPro.

7. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

It's anyone's guess, they've done almost nothing for years. I'd laugh if they just added thunderbolt and said "THE NEW MAC PRO"

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

No because Thunderbolt is actually useful. I could see Apple releasing the new Mac Pro that now "officially" supports 96GB RAM and nothing other changes. That would be funny. Then again I wont be upgrading my 2008 8-core until spring of 2014 so I can laugh but when spring 2014 rolls around I would be the one crying.

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Another Apple event and more belief that a product has to be announced because it's out of date.

2006: Mac Pro announced
    2007: no hardware
    2008: no hardware
    2009: Macbook Pros and iPhone
    2010: iPhone
    2011: no hardware
    2012: new Macbooks

Everything is stacked against the Mac Pro being announced. 3 months till an Intel platform refresh, iOS developers aren't the main audience for it, all the other Macs are getting their hardware paltforms updated before the Mac Pro, they won't be able to break NDA's 3 months out to announce any hardware details, Tim Cook said "late 2013" and whatever that means I don't really think it means June.

10. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

Yep.

That's right.

That's correct.

I don't understand why people can't see the logic in this.

11. d-m-a-x thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah dude, pci, or pci-e or lll if you are splitting hairs. this is a machine that needs reconfiguration ability. It may be the Red Camera capture card, or firewire so i can get the expensive, up to date hasselblad back to work (like apple cares)

12. scottrichardson macrumors 6502

The Good:

They dedicate a portion of time in their keynote to introduce a new Mac Pro with a new tower design, and all the latest architecture, available early September.

The Bad:

They mention during the keynote that there will be 'updated' mac pros coming later this year for developers to build their apps on.

The Ugly:

They say nothing, then after the keynote, remove the Mac Pro from all online stores and their web site.

13. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

[​IMG]

14. scottrichardson, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013

scottrichardson macrumors 6502

And for the sake of ****** and giggles... (something about seeing specs on a page is fulfilling)...

GOOD (4 cores)
    3.7GHz Intel 'Ivy Bridge E5v2' Quad-Core XEON CPU
    8GB 1866MHz DDR3 RAM (expandable to 128GB)
    512GB Solid State Storage
    nVidia GeForce GT750 2GB Graphics

BETTER (6 cores)
    3.4GHz Intel 'Ivy Bridge E5v2' Hex-Core XEON CPU
    8GB 1866MHz DDR3 RAM (expandable to 128GB)
    512GB Solid State Storage
    nVidia GeForce GT750 2GB Graphics

BEST (8 cores)
    Dual 2.9GHz Intel 'Ivy Bridge E5v2' Quad-Core XEON CPU
    16GB 1866MHz DDR3 RAM (expandable to 256GB)
    768GB Solid State Storage
    nVidia GeForce GTX760 2GB Graphics

ULTIMATE (12 cores)
    Dual 3.0GHz Intel Ivy Bridge E5 v2 Hex-Core XEON CPU
    16GB 1866MHz DDR3 RAM (expandable to 256GB)
    768GB Solid State Storage
    nVidia GeForce GTX770 2GB Graphics

Standard on all models:
    5 x USB 3.0 ports (2 on front, 3 on back)
    3 Thunderbolt Ports (data only) (1 on front, 2 on back)
    10Gigabit Ethernet (10GE) Port
    Gigabit Ethernet Port
    No Optical Drive
    No Firewire (TB converter available)
    3 Empty PCI-E 3 Slots
    802.11AC Wireless Networking / Bluetooth 4

Configurable Options:
    Up to 3.7GHz Quad Core CPU
    Up to 3.6GHz Hex Core CPU
    2.9GHz Octo-Core CPU (in dual socket models only)

Up to 256GB RAM in dual socket machines
    Up to 128GB RAM in single socket machines

Up to six x 768GB SSD Storage

Up to 4 x nVidia GeForce GT750 2GB Graphics Processors
    or Up to 1 GeForce GTX 780 3GB Graphics Processor

**** I have NO idea what the actual CPU speeds will be for the new v2 Ivy Bridge chips.. so I plucked speeds out of thin air that sounded logical?!?

Kept the specs pretty much within realism. Smaller chassis, all Solid State Storage. No Optical. No 3.5" bays.

15. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

3.7x4, 3.4x6 and 3.6x6 on single CPU models. Dual CPU models will have higher clockspeeds and up to 12 cores, but whether you will get both i.e 3.2x10 replacing the current 3.1x8 rather than something like 3.3x8, 2.9x10 and 2.6x12 is unknown.

If they kept the same chassis volume and ditched the optical drive they could get 2 CPUs, 12 DIMM slots, 4x 3.5" and 6x 2.5" in there easily.

16. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

Tim Cook never said "late 2013". That misquote is just the result of the "telephone game" generated FUD that just won't go away at this point. But it is completely not true.

Apple Cooks and Apple's quotes do is place the Mac Pro sometime inside of 2013 (the next year after 2012). The 'later' was a juxtaposition to the 'now' (June 2012) also used in the full quote.

17. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Right, on June 11th/12th he wrote an email that said "Thanks for your email. Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today."

We've argued about this before so i'll stand corrected over the "late 2013" thing at leave it at that. I've quoted the email before so I guess I've just seen that incorrect "late 2013" term so often I forgot what was actually said. It'll come when they want anyway, not like they are tied to some email quote or apparently market demand.

18. brand macrumors 601

brand

You seriously think they would use Bluetooth 2 when Bluetooth 4 is out and in many of the Apple products. If Bluetooth 4 wasn't used used it would be at least Bluetooth 3 + HS.

19. Mago macrumors 68000

FYI:

NO PCI-E X4/X1 (ThunderBolt instead) on Next MAC, *MAYBE* 2 x PCI-E X16 for Video Card, but RELIABLE RUMUORS SUGGEST APPLE OPTED FOR A CUSTOM PROPERTARY PCI-Ex16 for next Mac Pro Video With Integrated Sockets for SLI Bridges and High AMP Power Bus.

Video, Unlikely a Mac Pro with Desktop-Class Video, instead Workstation Class nVidia QUADRO upto 6000 also a QUADRO-Plex

20. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Which rumours? Post them.

21. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    I'm pretty sure that was a complete fabrication on his part.

Anyway, with 10.8 supporting a lot more modern desktop-class video cards, I can't imagine why Apple would do that work on the software side and then not have desktop-class video cards as a standard option.

22. dazed macrumors 6502a

It will the thinnest mac pro ever. You won't be able to upgrade ram or video and it will be glued together.

Welcome to the new Apple. :D

23. scottrichardson macrumors 6502

You're right, and on that spec i really was just shooting in the wind :) Thanks for the correction :)

----------

Wait, are you saying there will be 5-core CPUs? Or 10-Core CPUs? 6-Core, or 12-Core CPUs? Thats PER CPU.

In dual CPU machines that means up to 24 cores, no?

24. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Those are all single CPU core counts. So yes 24-cores could be possible from Apple, although they may be too expensive or hot for Apple to put in a DP Mac Pro.

25. scottrichardson macrumors 6502

Impressive. For threaded applications that scale well, we could see some rather impressive gains.

Do you think Apple would be likely to opt for a single-socket model with an 8, 10, or 12 core cpu in it?