Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAyla

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Anyone else bummed there's no mention of HDDVD or BR playback in the new DVD player? :(

I am, this was actually the main thing I was hoping to hear!

There's no way to play back HD DVD and Blu-ray on the Mac (Mplayer is the only choice, but slow and no HD sound) support.

I hope they implement it before October!

Ade-iMac-177

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
I have noticed a couple of problems with this new interface

firstly, the new dock actually leaves the shortcuts sitting higher on the screen and so takes up more screen space. secondly, the black triangle showing that an app is open in tiger has been replaced by a white glowing triangle/dot that seems to blend with the reflections od the icons and so is less clear to see.

Also, if you use one of the black and white desktop background that are supplied with tiger and will no doubt come with leopard, if the top of the picture is dark you will not be able to see the menus, clock or apple (apple looks horrible in black anyway)

in terms of looks though, i find the dock to actually look quite nice. however, the top menu looks horrible, i am not sure why, i think it is becuase you can see that it doesn't match the dock and with the apple and spotlight buttons now just being black instead of the good old aqua blue it just looks bland and boring, worse than vista i think.

today is a sad day for apple, its shares have dropped, they usually surge after a keyonte.

TilJ

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2007
So does anyone else think that the coverflow interface is horribly overrated? I played with it once or twice in iTunes and haven't looked at it since. It's pretty and all, but unless everything has a preview its totally useless. I cant use it in iTunes because half my music doesnt have cover (even with their "get cover art" feature) and I don't have hours to drag and drop from Amazon (or want to mess with any 3rd party apps). In the finder its going to be worse. Whats the point of flipping through a pile of generic Quark document icons? Unless they magically figured out a way to preview something besides picture files and PDFs.

I don't really see the point of coverflow either, but then again I don't have album art for all my songs. When it comes to my files I would have a preview available for all of them. Also, the file preview would be more meaningful than random artwork (which I rarely associate with a song anyway). So I think it mgiht be more useful in the Finder than in iTunes.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
aehm, the menue bar is part of the application because there select what i want to do. how can it be less important. it is the application.:confused:

It is not the application WINDOW. The majority of the functionality of an app should NOT reside in the menubar. That's Windows mentality, and it's crap.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Leopard WILL run on G4, G5, Core Duo and Core 2 Duo and Xeon based machines. Leopard does quad binary (32-bit ppc/intel, 64-bit ppc/intel). So, it is a 64-bit OS top to bottom. It is ALSO a 32-bit OS top to bottom ;-) Don't panic.

What about core solo for those lowly mini owners?

And has Apple made an official hardware support announcement somewhere or is this still just speculation?

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
I doubt that Leopard is feature complete and I believe that we will see another presentation about Leopard in the near future. There are just too many features missing. ZFS, resolution independence etc.

Oh, and that menubar MUST be a joke.

Ade-iMac-177

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
leopards transparency and document preview in icons looks quite like vista and that wasn't the best.

vista was an upset
leopard looks like an upset
PS3 was an upset

2007 is a bad year for technology, i look forward to OS11.

i keep looking at leopard on apple.com and i keep wondering whether i should even bother to upgrade or stick to good old Tiger, the best OS i have ever seen, including leopard. :confused:

scrambledwonder

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2006
Berkeley, CA
Exciting

Wow! Stacking is wonderful, talk about speeding up workflow. . . Also impressed with spaces, although Linux has had that for a while, right? ;)

Transparent menu bar is unnecessary, hope there's an option to make it opaque.

Also impressed with 64 bit support, but that's because I just got a MBP! HA!

Overall a nice keynote.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Pop quiz!

I just downloaded this files from my sony camera:

DSC0023.jpg
DSC0024.jpg
DSC0027.jpg
DSC0028.jpg
DSC0029.jpg
DSC0030.jpg
DSC0022.jpg
DSC0025.jpg
DSC0026.jpg

Quick! Which one has my daughter in it? Who do you think will find it first? You, with your alphabetical list here, or someone with coverflow?

Anyone want to bet?

I've been using iPhoto exclusively with my camera for so many years, I honestly could not tell you how to import photos directly from a camera to the Finder without iPhoto involvement.

It is not the application WINDOW. The majority of the functionality of an app should NOT reside in the menubar. That's Windows mentality, and it's crap.

Double :confused:

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Pin dock to left?

In Tiger, I prefer to have my dock pinned to the left side of the screen. I suppose this would look funny in the more 3D look of Leopard's dock, as the icons appear to sit on a shelf. Also, if the dock is pinned to the left, do the stacks expand left to right? Hmmm... maybe I will have to put my dock on the bottom now to get used to this new dock.

As a .Mac user with a Mac at home and in office, I'm really happy about the apparently easy file sharing through the finder. Screen sharing on a local network is cool also. Now, Apple should make a nice folder syncing utility for .Mac members.

Steve didn't have much to say today, as evidenced by the time he spent talking about and demoing a new movie widget! Leopard was delayed due to moving resources to iPhone work, but geez, they sure had time to make a new movie widget!

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
finder-sidebar.png

screen sharing?

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
A couple of notes from Moscone WWDC (woohoo!)

Menubar transparency can be turned off

However after trying it out, you never want to, it makes you more focused, and less distracted. I thought it was ugly, then tried it. It's actually very good for productivity.

It's fast.

Stacks are fantastic.

The new finder is absolutely the best part. How many years have we wanted a cocoa finder? It's HERE!!!!! Browsing network shares is no longer met with delays, it's using the fast Unix finally. I can try to mount 10 shares without every seeing a cursor.

Proper multi-threaded support. No more pauses when clicking on the menubar or anything else. Apps keep chugging along.

No more beachball so far.

It's the perfect OS for productivity. No crazy changes, just refinement to the extreme.

It's a beautiful thing!

DVD player has been able to play HD-DVDs for a long time. It has blu-ray and HD-DVD settings in prefs now.

Dock works fine on the sides, 3D but the icons are sideways (proper) with shadow. Looks awesome on the side. I'd post pictures but I'd rather not be in Apple prison.

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Pop quiz!

I just downloaded this files from my sony camera:

DSC0023.jpg
DSC0024.jpg
DSC0027.jpg
DSC0028.jpg
DSC0029.jpg
DSC0030.jpg
DSC0022.jpg
DSC0025.jpg
DSC0026.jpg

Quick! Which one has my daughter in it? Who do you think will find it first? You, with your alphabetical list here, or someone with coverflow?

Anyone want to bet?

Don't know which one your daughters in but I do know which ones your wife is in. From DSC0001 to DSC0021. All slightly under exposed shots of her in a variety of positions.

$2

THAT MENUBAR ****ING SUCKS.

ffs, isn't apple trying to make something better than vista? it seems like they've taken a page from vista's book. keep the same old ****ing os and add new ugly eye candy

I agree. I can't imagine any pro user liking that dock. My god. And the menu bar is a train wreck of an idea. Screw transparency in GUI's. Something is either ON the screen taking up screen real estate or it ISN'T. Somebody did some cack handed asshattery with the OSX GUI late on a friday and called it final.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
Wallpaper

I'd like to get my hands on a copy of Leopard's defualt wallpaper. Is that included in the Leopard Beta? If so, can someone post a download link?

macinfojunkie

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
T3 sums it up nicely

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/general/general/apple_reveals..._nothing

Maybe we are all expecting far too much from the Leopard "upgrade" (I know I did) and should accept that it is only really a middling update with a few feature enhancements. I thought that the WWDC Keynote was a big yawn. It will be interesting to see the view footage if apple post it to see exactly how excited was about all those "new features" or whether this was more of an iPod HI-Fi moment for his Steveness.

New GUI :(

To me OSX looks more like Vista (maybe it is just the choice of desktop being in green that drives this) but I was expecting something a bit more impressive than stacks as the Wow secret feature. As for the UI changes. Nothing that add ons to Tiger have not been doing for a long time, and certainly not as drastic as Win2k > XP or even Xp to Vista - whatever you might think of those, at least it looked like MS changed some stuff. Leopard just looks like the same old same old with little more than a Value Pack collection of nice to have extra features. I get the impression that there were NO secret features back in January but that SJ was not happy hawking the mediocre improvements we saw back then, and if all they have managed in the meantime is Stacks and a see-through menu bar then I think we really are being sold the Emperor's new clothes.

New Finder :(

And for 4TLOG, if Apple have time to do fancy search BS and cover art crap with the finder, surely they can manage a simple file browser which gets you navigate all your folders easily and move items without having to copy and delete. Finder is like the fisher price of file browsers for people who lack the cognitive ability to understand/remember where they put stuff!. Where's the move/cut feature already? Windows has had this since year dot and it is the 1 feature that I wish Apple would copy from MS - more-so than the eye Candy of Bill's latest offering.

New .Mac Services :)

The one ray of light during the Keynote. Need more details though and it better work more reliably than the current iDisk.

Time machine? :confused:

Eye candy for an endless incremental backup unless there is something ground breaking like ZFS underneath. I have 1TB local in my PowerMac G5. How much storage am I going to need to backup that with time Machine!

What, no new file system? :mad:

Does the lack of announcement mean the file system is still HFS+ ? Or did SJ not mention it because it was "leaked", or is a file system change trivial for Apple to think it is not worth mentioning? In any case a mature OS should have a more robust file system than Tiger which has better directory structure management tools and a defrag tool built in.

DVD Player :) (was :( )

Not mentioned in the keynote (afair), but there's a new look DVD player on the latest Leopard preview web pages? No word of support for "HD" DVD formats of any kind. Of course last year was the year of HD for Apple when they did next to nothing to forward the cause of HD beyond iLife. [EDIT: I see from a previous poster that it does who was at the WWDC that it does in fact supprot HD media, but why no mention ont he Apple website then for the benefit of those who are not able to be in SF]

iChat :rolleyes:

Ok, this does looks like a nice upgrade, but let's face it if most of your friends/colleagues use MSN Messenger, then what's the use of an all singing all dancing chat/conference application if you can't talk to 90% of the world's IM users. MSN messenger is the only MS app I have installed (natively) on my Mac at the moment for this very reason.

iPhoney SDK :rolleyes:

Judging by the comments on the related thread on p1 of this forum I'd suspect this is also a bit of an afterthought for Apple. OK I can see that it would work, but it is not going to enable development of applications which can be used off-line is it? (Or did I miss something?). I realise that a mobile device is designed to be always connected, but there are certainly instances where applications need to be created which do not depend on the Web.

[Safari for Windows] :apple:

I can see the point of this from a marketing perspective. It will draw people to the Apple web-site out of curiosity if not anything else. But from the early repots it seems not yet ready for prime time and not delivering the benefits (in terms of speed). I hope that these reports are not indicative of overall experience, but if Apple are putting something out on Windows it needs to be near perfect, even if it is being branded a beta, otherwise it is not going to help convince people to switch.

/rant

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
You think you'll still be able to put the dock on the left or right of the screen? I hate having it on the bottom.

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
A couple of notes from Moscone WWDC (woohoo!)

Menubar transparency can be turned off

Dock works fine on the sides, 3D but the icons are sideways (proper) with shadow. Looks awesome on the side. I'd post pictures but I'd rather not be in Apple prison.

Thank god for being able to turn off menu bar transparency.

Is the 3d dock optional?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.