Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s0x™

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Hey..considering buying a 17" macbook pro (my first mac), _IF_ Apple announce core 2 duo inside the Macbook pro...would the price increase? Has this occured in the past?...Otherwise if its not updated I'll just buy anyway.

wisredz

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
well noone could answer this question really. Who knows what might happen at WWDC or what might happen to prices?
Core 2 Duo is cheaper, I would love to see the prices drop. But as I have stated earlier, noone knows until monday.
Just wait a little more and you will see for yourself.
I know this was not the reply you had in mind but had to tell what I thought

s0x™

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Yeah...cheers anyway...I just don't want to see Core 2 Duo go into the laptop and I have to pay more....guess I could shop somewhere else for just a Core Duo...Maybe I will wait till Monday, I'm so excited :D :D

edit: Even if Core 2 Duo goes in and the price increases, I'd still look at the price difference to see if the performance is worth it. IMO Core 2 Duo needs the Santa Rosa chipset.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
s0x&#8482 said:
Hey..considering buying a 17" macbook pro (my first mac), _IF_ Apple announce core 2 duo inside the Macbook pro...would the price increase? Has this occured in the past?...Otherwise if its not updated I'll just buy anyway.

Well I don't mean to hold you off, but you do know that the general consensus is that the new MBP is expected more in the September-October neighborhood, right? The Core 2 Dup iMac is expected first, since Merom won't ramp up in production 'til late august-early september.

And if the prices went up, I'd eat a cantaloupe. And that's saying a lot for my confidence.

s0x™

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
hyperpasta said:
Well I don't mean to hold you off, but you do know that the general consensus is that the new MBP is expected more in the September-October neighborhood, right? The Core 2 Dup iMac is expected first, since Merom won't ramp up in production 'til late august-early september.

And if the prices went up, I'd eat a cantaloupe. And that's saying a lot for my confidence.

Hey, I don't mind with a core duo cpu, like I said in my previous edit Core 2 Duo is limited on the current chipset. Also it has to be bought soon i.e in this/next week, heh credit cards....:rolleyes:

@Eidorian : Thats good to hear :D

Argh...the waiting game....

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
twoodcc said:
is Merom really not shipping until September?

No it has been shipping! What people keep talking about is that a Mass shipping is going to start in September. No one really can say what that means. Apple could have bene stocking on Merom's since first release. The mass ship could just mean companies like HP are getting them finally, or the ones that aren't getting that at first, or it could mean like most are taking it that MBP's and MB's won't see the Update until intel steps it up and begins spilling out Merom left and right 24/7. (something like that)

If the do increase price it better be because apple decided that computers acctually do need good GPU's and felt like offering a 3200 MBP that has the x1800 card or what ever model number I keep hearing about that is so good.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
twoodcc said:
is Merom really not shipping until September?

Apple and Leveno are said to have first dibbs on Merom. It's be stupid for Apple to push for a September launch just so "it can come out in Macworld" because there goes their early advantage, which I doubt Intel gave to them for free..

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
s0x™ said:
Hey, I don't mind with a core duo cpu, like I said in my previous edit Core 2 Duo is limited on the current chipset. Also it has to be bought soon i.e in this/next week, heh credit cards....:rolleyes:

@Eidorian : Thats good to hear :D

Argh...the waiting game....
The current chipset is being "refreshed" for Core 2 Duo mobile. It's said to improve memory access times. It's not exactly the same chipset currently being used for Yonah. Santa Rosa won't be out till March '07 or thereabouts.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
generik said:
Apple and Leveno are said to have first dibbs on Merom. It's be stupid for Apple to push for a September launch just so "it can come out in Macworld" because there goes their early advantage, which I doubt Intel gave to them for free..

Part of the deal when Apple switched to Intel could have been for the first year Apple gets first dibs on all new chips or something like that.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
daveL said:
The current chipset is being "refreshed" for Core 2 Duo mobile. It's said to improve memory access times. It's not exactly the same chipset currently being used for Yonah. Santa Rosa won't be out till March '07 or thereabouts.

Hey this si the first i've heard about chipsets being refreshed. Do you have alink or can you go in to more detail. Or is that really it? (understand i'm not calling you a liar, my small mind can only comprehend things when spelled out in great detail...).

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Chaszmyr said:
Part of the deal when Apple switched to Intel could have been for the first year Apple gets first dibs on all new chips or something like that.

Either way they shouldn't waste this opportunity to hype the release more ")

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
daveL said:
Intel Mobile chipsets aren't being refreshed until Santa Rosa.

kaboutertje

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Haha, the current exchange rate is far in favor of the euro. Still though we seem to pay a lot more even in a 1:1 comparison with the US $, for our electronics. It has nothing to do with the "rising" US dollar.

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
I don't know about increased - Apple shed a few Pounds off several iPod and iMac models a few months ago in the UK, presumable to be more competitive.

Doesn't seem likely.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
For Apple to be really successfull they need to keep pushing prices down. Once a Mac is the same price as most PCs and can boot Windows as well, Mac have won. Then its just a matter of time.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
poppe said:
Hey this si the first i've heard about chipsets being refreshed. Do you have alink or can you go in to more detail. Or is that really it? (understand i'm not calling you a liar, my small mind can only comprehend things when spelled out in great detail...).
I'm thinking it was:

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2715

Unfortunately, the only reference I can find to improved memory access is attributed to Merom itself. It seems as though the "Napa refresh" is replacing Yonah with Merom. It's a bit confusing, the way it's worded - or the way I read it. I think the problem is that I view "Napa" the chipset and the processor connected to it as separate things, whereas the Intel-speak seems to lump them together and call it the "Napa" platform. My bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.