Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I don’t expect a X caliber iPad Pro but I am expecting a spec refresh similar to what the Mac lineup will receive with intels 8th generation processors. The A11X is due and makes since seeing as TSMC just started mass producing it’s 7nm process for tech companies.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Man I could have sworn that I have seen a similar thread on this topic...I must have imagined it..

Different wording on the title. We still have room for an IPad Pro @ WWDC Speculations thread. Perhaps these threads will improve our chances of apple releasing a new Ipad Pro @ WWDC. Now that's a good idea for an other new thread! 12 days to steer this ship!! Get to work people ;)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't think so. I think they are working on a redesign with minimal bezels and OLED to be released either in November or early next spring at the latest. I also feel like it's pretty disingenuous to release an iPad Pro with an A10X and then release a faster A11 iPhone a couple months later. IMO the iPad Pro should always be released within a few month of the iPhone with a much faster X version of the iPhone's processor. That would be almost like Apple releasing a new MacBook Pro with an i7 and then releasing a new MacBook with an i9 a couple months later.

In a redesign I'm hoping they just combine the 10.5" and 12.9" into a single ~11.5" model that isn't much bigger than the current 10.5" due to reduced bezels but has the same usable display area as the 12.9" model but at a higher @3X PPI. I think they're wanting to do @3X in the new version but getting that to run in the iPad Pro at 120Hz is going to require a much beefier, Apple-designed GPU in the A12X.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I’m still using an original launch day iPad Air. The device still runs great for my needs and the battery life is as good as the day I bought it.

But iOS 11 is the last year for updates so I’m hoping a refresh is soon. Nothing wrong with the latest iPad Pro but it is going on one year, and I love Face ID.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I see no reason to. The existing models are adequate.

The current model of any high-end device is usually "adequate". Apple and other companies don't put out new products because people actually need them. The question is whether they think people will buy them.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I really don't think so. IMO it doesn't need a redesign, the bezels are fine - any smaller and it will actually make it harder to hold/use without covering part of the screen. TouchID is fine and in many cases still better than FaceID (like being able to have multiple people/finger prints which is more common on iPads). There is nothing keeping them from adding gestures to even the current iPads.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I really don't think so. IMO it doesn't need a redesign, the bezels are fine - any smaller and it will actually make it harder to hold/use without covering part of the screen. TouchID is fine and in many cases still better than FaceID (like being able to have multiple people/finger prints which is more common on iPads). There is nothing keeping them from adding gestures to even the current iPads.

Yeah I find the popularity of the desire for bezeless design and Face ID on iPads on the forum alarming. I most certainly can understand the desire to slim bezels down a bit but holding a 12.9 with one hand with virtually no bezels doesn’t sound appealing to me.

06tb06

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2017
Yeah I find the popularity of the desire for bezeless design and Face ID on iPads on the forum alarming. I most certainly can understand the desire to slim bezels down a bit but holding a 12.9 with one hand with virtually no bezels doesn’t sound appealing to me.

I'm fine with bezel-less notebooks and desktops (something you don't have to support a lot with your hands), but smaller bezels on a tablet device is a complete turn-off for me as well. Just because it works well for one product doesn't mean it'll work well on another.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I am fine with bezel-less. I typically handle my iPad with my fingers on the back and the side resting on my palm. I never hold my thumb against the screen unless I am using it for typing or tapping. Looking forward to the redesign.

Last edited:

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I don't think so. Radio silence on the rumors, and no obvious way to orient FaceID in an iPad.

As a 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9" user, I'm not sure what to do. I want an upgraded iPad mainly for the camera and pro motion. I also need to replace my smart keyboard. However, my current iPad Pro basically works fine and has shown 0 performance issues since the day I bought it. It feels like spending $1,000+ on a new iPad Pro would be a waste of money unless I was convinced I was going to own it for 3 or 4 more years.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
I don't think so. Radio silence on the rumors, and no obvious way to orient FaceID in an iPad.

As a 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9" user, I'm not sure what to do. I want an upgraded iPad mainly for the camera and pro motion. I also need to replace my smart keyboard. However, my current iPad Pro basically works fine and has shown 0 performance issues since the day I bought it. It feels like spending $1,000+ on a new iPad Pro would be a waste of money unless I was convinced I was going to own it for 3 or 4 more years.

The only thing Im banking on is that last year there was also a lot of silence about the iPad Pro 10.5..then BAM, on May 29th, we found out that a patent had been issued..so who knows, it could still happen

Reactions: eVolcre

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Being afraid of small bezels is like not adopting electric cars out of fear that there won’t be enough charging stations.

My point being that if Apple are smart enough to make a tablet with thin or no bezels, they can certainly make a flawless edge-touch rejection system. The benefits of a lighter, smaller device far outweigh the problem of fingers on the edges of the screen. it is up to the designers to implement the technology to make it work well.

Right now I’m looking at a beautiful 12.9” tablet screen that is framed by nearly 30% additional bezel area around it... fail. Yes, please release a new iPad Pro at WWDC! And it better have smaller bezels. Home button, meh. FaceID, whatever. THE BEZELS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.