WWDC - no updates for the MAC PRO, yet at least

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UTball, Jun 8, 2009.

1. UTball macrumors newbie

After over an hour and a half of watching blogs of WWDC there are no new updates to the mac pro besides the OS that will be involved with it.

One hidden thing was that they showed a picture of the new graphics card for the MAC PRO but no bloggers said anything about it. I wonder what was said at the conference itself.

Then also what about the Pro Apps or the new display. Both things are due to be redone but nothing. Final Cut Studio 2 is getting old and needs a new update. Dont get me wrong still a great app but everything cause always use an update. Then the monitors!! Yeah you released the new LED a couple months ago but what about a new ACD. When the one that is out now is over 4 years old. That is unacceptable. If they expect more people to purchase either MAC PROs or monitors with their machines then they seriously need to update the monitors soon.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I assume the graphics card image was in relation to the note about OpenCL.

3. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Mac Pros work with any monitor, you know. They were updated in what, March?

4. macfan881 macrumors 68020

didnt the new macbooks just come out like 2 months ago 3 maybe?

5. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

What would Apple upgrade in the Mac Pro, precisely?

As for monitors, anyone wanting a proper high-end monitor buys an NEC or an Eizo. The lack of any updated Apple LCDs isn't really that much of an issue.

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

No. The design was from the tail end of 2008 (September/October), with the only change in 2009 coming from a speed bump from 2.53 to 2.66 on the top end model.

7. joubex macrumors member

joubex

upgrade Mac pro

Apple doesn't need any conference to update the Mac Pro
    I think they will upgrade the speed of the processor during june
    The mac Pro line is not enough trendy....
    :eek:

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

In the Mac Rumors streaming text coverage I didn't see mention of any desktops in the key note.

Not surprising really.... Apple's focus is clearly on mobile hardware (laptops, phones), delivery of media (music, video, games, apps) and the required operating systems (OSX and iPhone OS) with the focus on this conference being the greatly enhanced iPhone OS 3.

I guess the old business model of catering to creative professionals is just way too niche to satisfy shareholders.

I agree with others that the only update that could realistically happen to the Mac Pro line is a bump in processor speeds but even that is far fetched in my opinion.

If Apple upgrades a processor in a product, does it need to be recertified for FCC, CE, and other jurisdictions? If so, it's unlikely the added sales (if any) would justify this expense.

I would expect an FCS announcement around or just after SL ships in Sept.

9. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

I for one would have liked to see a new 30" display.

10. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

Unless you work for Apple! I wouldn't like to make predictions as to what might happen this week! 4 days to go and anything is possible. Launch date for new iPhone earlier than last year for UK. MacBook becoming a MBP! Nicccccce!:D

11. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I can't imagine any more updates to the Apple website... I think everything product related that is worth mentioning has been mentioned (and posted to Apple.com).

12. snouter macrumors 6502a

Pricing like they did with the laptops.

single 2.66 $1500
    single 2.93 $1800
    dual 2.26 $2500
    dual 2.66 $3300
    dual 2.93 $4000

The single 2.66 and 2.93 would likely have to be i7 parts since I think the 2.66 Xeon is pretty expensive.

Not gonna happen, but it's fun to talk about.

Actually, I think Apple threw it down today. They want to make laptops.

If you NEED the MacPro because you make money with it, you will pay whatever. If you WANT a MacPro because it's your parent's money, you will pay. Everyone else can buy a laptop. I expect to see less emphasis on the iMac as well.

Laptops.

13. snouter macrumors 6502a

Didn't see this before I posted, but, I essentially agree.

iPhone, iPod, laptops

14. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

You're kidding, right ?

15. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

You don't have to have an Apple monitor, do you? There are plenty of alternatives out there which are better (Eizo, NEC), or are cheaper/better equipped (Dell et al).

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've had the fortune of owning both, and they're really good monitors. Unfortunately, Eizo has gotten too expensive for me, so I went with the NEC2490 this time. :) Their only downside, other than price :p, is they don't have as many connection types as other monitors.

DVI-D is all I needed, and I'm quite happy with it. :D

17. OZMP macrumors 6502

I thought with all our Cores and our higher spec'd GPU's MP owners have the most to gain from the SL announcement...

18. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Can't wait to see what improvements SL brings to my Mac Pro :) Also hoping lots of devs have taken advantage of the new code.