WWDC-The new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bengy66, May 10, 2016.

1. Bengy66 macrumors regular

I am in the camp that we will see the new "iPhone 7" at WWDC. Crazy talk I know but with slumping sales and increased competition I think we will see an "iPad 3" type product cycle here. iPhone 7 with much of the similar form factor and bumps in specs and camera with a complete redesign in the Spring. My theory is that the sapphire screen debacle threw everything in a tailspin and the original plan was to have the OLED screen introduced with the iPhone 7. They missed the production window by a few months and were forced to push it back forcing to keep a similar form factor with the 7.

2. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

No way will Apple even discuss the ip7, let alone show it at WWDC.

3. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

There was just a new iPad introduced few months ago, how are you expecting another iPad introduction at WWDC?

4. Bengy66 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not saying a new iPad will be announced but using the iPad 3 upgrade cycle where they upgraded in 6 months as an example of what we are going to see in with the latest iPhone

5. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I think the iPad Pro both sizes was a significant enough upgrade for them to do that. iPhone 7 upgrade is a huge announcement and can even take away time from the actual point of the WWDC.

6. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

You are in the wrong camp OP. No way it will happen.

7. Bengy66 thread starter macrumors regular

Trust me I won't be happy about it since not eligible till September to upgrade however this may make sense especially since they are hosting the WWDC keynote at a much larger venue than years past.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

OP: It will not happen. We would have already seen iOS 10 preview in March if that was the case. iPhone 7 will launch with iOS 10, and iOS 10 needs to go through 3 month of beta testing before it is released to the public.

With regardless to the iPad 3 -> iPad 4 short cycle was because of two hardware reasons. The processor was not powerful enough to run the Retina Display. Second, the lightning cable was just introduced with the iPhone 5 and to keep things consistent, they added it to the iPad.

There is no way an iPhone 7 will be introduced next month. And you can't use the iPad 3 -> 4 theory because its completely different.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

People upgrade on a yearly or biannual cycle. No way they disrupt their customers by launching an iPhone this early.

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

how can they do this when they need to announce IOS 10? cmon man.

12. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

@Bengy66 +OS X + TVOS + WatchOS + CarPlay OS...we'll be watching till midnight if they released an iPad and iPhone too

13. SMIDG3T, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016

SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

WWDC is all about software, not hardware. The iPhone 7 will be unveiled and shipped in September.

14. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Came here to say this. Unless Apple released the iPhone 7 on iOS 9, it just isn't going to happen.

15. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Would be cool if it did. I miss those summer iPhone releases

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Too few leaks have surfaced for me to be inclined to think this is even a possibility. But here's to hoping in surprised. I've not been surprised by Apple in a long time, unless you count this last quarter sales

17. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

LOL... you (and others) talk like this is certainty. While I also believe that iPhone 7 will not be revealed at WWDC, let me remind you that the iPhone 3G, 3GS and the 4 were all revealed at WWDC. Just sayin'...

18. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Yes, but the versions of iOS those phones launched with were announced in the spring, three months before the new iPhone was released. So unless Apple launches the iPhone 7 with iOS 9 right after WWDC or launches it months after announcing it, neither of which is going to happen, there's just no way Apple will announce the iPhone 7 at WWDC.

19. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

So they're going to release iOS 10 beta 1 on the 13th of June and the iPhone 7 weeks later... Yeah alright.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Why do you think a larger venue would make any difference?

There is no reason to believe that we will even hear about the 7 at WWDC.

21. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

OMGZ Sales are down 1 quarter and the sky iz falling!! Quick...someone throw off our entire production and release cycle!! That will fix it!