WWDC: What sort of expectations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, Jun 7, 2007.

?

What are your expectations for WWDC?

1. Mostly Software: Leopard, iLife + more iPhone

23 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. At least some hardware: Mac Pro and display updates

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. The new industrial design iMac

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Pretty excited about it

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  5. Expecting to be fairly disappointed

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  6. Only looking forward to Leopard, Apps, & iPhone

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Hell Froze Over: Mid-range Tower & 6G Video iPod

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Like many for the last few weeks or months I have been looking forward to this years WWDC, primarily b/c MWSF 07 gave us just an iPhone and Apple TV, and since then we've seen colored shuffles, 8-Core Mac Pros and only this week Santa Rosa MBPs. The expectation is of course a much more indepth look at Leopard as well as most likely changes to iLife and iWork. However, if the iPhone gets much stage time, I fear that will really be it for the keynote.

Many of us are waiting for a new desktop, either changes to the iMac (form, SR), a mac pro with a new chipset, or often debated need for a mid-tower (or at the least some indication of the future of the Mini). News this week indicates that new iMacs won't be featured on Monday. I truly expected them to be announced with 2-3 week shipping.

At this point I expect to find myself somewhat disappointed with the (lack of) hardware announcements next week. And while I know that WWDC is for developers and should be more Pro and Software oriented, we haven't even heard much at all about new Displays, which are sorely overdue.

I personally would rather have a mid-tower or a revised Mac Pro (if I'm going to pay that much for a tower I don't really need with expensive RAM) than an iMac b/c I would like to pair it with an Apple display.

What are your expectations for WWDC?
    You can vote for more than one.

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I am predicting Steve Jobs is going to talk about everything about Leopard and maybe the Mac Pros and Cinema Displays might be updated. I don't think Steve is going to talk about the iPhone because he already explained everything about it at MacWorld 2007. Maybe maybe, a Blue-ray drive too on the Mac Pros.

3. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

4. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

5. astrostu macrumors 6502

I'm expecting Leopard mostly and a bit of the iPhone. I am hoping for updated Mac Pros and Cinema Displays, and I would love to have the true video iPod. But, I don't think that'll happen (since I'm looking to buy soon and it's my luck that they don't update when I need to buy) and so I checked the "disappointed" option.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i really don't think the cinema displays will be updated until they can go led. the 17" mbp has shown that apple can't yet release led displays of cinema display sizes just yet. within a year perhaps, but not next week. i do expect some hardware announcement to go along with all the leopard/ilife/iwork hoopla. what exactly that announcement is going to be? i wish i knew. my money is on a new imac despite rumors saying otherwise.

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Just something apart from the sodding iPhone.

8. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Do you think Steve will mention anything about Final Cut Server?

9. EngBrian macrumors regular

I am hoping for new ilife in time for me to buy on tuesday. Also looking forward to seeing the Leopard secret features.

10. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I'd love to see a mid-range tower announcement, but that definitely does fall into the "hell froze over" mention so I voted that + "expect to be disappointed". :p

My realistic (3rd) vote was the top one...software - Leopard, iLife, and iPhone. I expect lots of iPhone stuff which I could care less about. :rolleyes: :confused:

11. ACbc macrumors member

What do I EXPECT? or what do i WANT?

I want any kind of upgrade to the MacPro so i can shell out money to buy one. Even if its an announcement with a future ship date. At least then i have some knowledge to make a purchase. I don't want to purchase now if there's a chance they will go to an all 8 core line up in October.

Unforunately, I expect to be disappointed. I know it'll make apple money and there's a lot of hype, but if Steve Jobs spends more than 10 minutes talking about the iPhone, i'm going to puke first, buy one share of Apple stock second, and then go to the next board meeting and demand that Apple COMPUTER be brought back! :mad:

all that said, i expect to be disappointed. I was one of those who put off buying a powerbook waiting for the G5 model to come out..... so call me better haha.

12. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I think the iPhone will be great, and while I want to see them in person, I don't want Keynote time devoted to it. I would get one this summer, but I think I will wait till next year - revision and my contract will be up. Otherwise $200 to love t-mobile.

I really want a mid-range tower, as I bought a Mini in October to hold me over and finally replace my Sawtooth G4 450. I love the Apple displays and would rather have that and a mid-tower/Mac Pro over the white iMac. I want a 2nd internal drive and more RAM room, though the SR iMacs will have the same 4GB that the new MBPs do. For me the Mac Pro is overkill. I can even buy a mid-tower/Mac Pro this summer with a new Display and then in a year or so replace it with an LED. I won't wait for that.

I almost bought Apple Stock at $80 back in Dec. Now it's $125 and expected to push $150-160 next month or so. I would have made enough off it already to pay for a Mac Pro with a 30" Cinema and $$ left over.