Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think you'll see from WWDC (MP related)

• Yawn. Nothing. Still waiting for Godot.

Votes: 48 48.5%
  • Spec bump - E5-x6xx v4 CPUs, somewhat faster GPUs for the cylinder

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • New CPUs, and Pascal/Polaris/Vega big bump in GPUs for the cylinder

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • New mid-tower with dual sockets, PCIe slots (not necessarily replacing the cylinder)

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • Something to make the people with Z840s drool....

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • A new 5K monitor with a lame ATI eGPU built in

Votes: 10 10.1%

• Total voters

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
If they do *any* kind of upgrade to the Mac Pro, I'm pulling the trigger. Been waiting and saving up for this.

I don't *expect* it, but I'd love to see a spec bump, or even the mythical mid-tower.

Reactions: mrxak

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I'm hoping that the Mac Pro will be updated with a new Xeon CPU and next-generation AMD GPUs! =)

richmlow

Reactions: mrxak

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
If they do *any* kind of upgrade to the Mac Pro, I'm pulling the trigger. Been waiting and saving up for this.

I don't *expect* it, but I'd love to see a spec bump, or even the mythical mid-tower.
hat does that mean?
You’ll buy the nMP anyway or you’ll move to something else?

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
I don't *need* the Mac Pro, but if that's what I have to buy to get a powerful headless system, I'll do it. I owned a 2008 Octo-core MP for 6.5 years until it finally died on me, only had my Mini as a backup, and didn't have the money saved to get a new model.

If they came out with a mid-tower that's expandable, I'd grab that instead, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, so...MP is the only option.

Reactions: H2SO4

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
For my needs the 4,1 is still sufficient, but I'm really hoping for a quad-core 13" rMBP. I would love to use a quad-core live, but the 15" is a bit bulky for my taste.

I know, I know, not gonna happen...

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
.... but I'm really hoping for a quad-core 13" rMBP. I would love to use a quad-core live, but the 15" is a bit bulky for my taste.

I know, I know, not gonna happen...

It will probably happen in the future. Probably around the Gen 8 (8000) [ Cannonlake]. So perhaps late 2017 early 2018. So perhaps WWDC 2018. Kaby Lake (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake)

"..
  • Up to four cores as the default mainstream configuration ..."
I think that "4 core default" is for desktop. Mobile will probably take another process shrink ( Cannonlake). ..... If Apple doesn't do something crazy like press the 13" even thinner. The Core i5 6287U and 6257U ( the natural successors for the current rMBP 13" 5287U/6257U) are still 2 cores ( and 4 threads).

If Apple moved the 2012 MBP 13" forward they could probably do it. If it is important enough configuration to keep around .... rather puzzling why they don't update it.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
If Apple moved the 2012 MBP 13" forward they could probably do it. If it is important enough configuration to keep around .... rather puzzling why they don't update it.

I think I read somewhere they keep it around because it is still popular in educational markets. They kept the old white Macbook around for a long time as well back then, for the same reason.

The same way Ford kept the Crown Vic around for fleet sales, I guess...

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
With the event formerly known as MacWorld SF coming next week - what do you think Apple will show?

If Apple is giving up on OpenCL then the successor. Either extended Metal or jumping into HSA. ( not sure if this will trickle down to the GCN 1.0 hardware in Mac Pro ).

OS X 10.12 and some new audio acceleration libraries/foundation classes.

Additional SIP ( system integrity protection) that is start a fresh rounds of moaning and groaning as hacks to older Mac Pros get harder.

Either something to replace the softraid/fusion function or to formally deprecate it (and possibly leave some hooks behind so 3rd parties like SoftRAID can fill the space). i.e., a bit of file system infrastructure changes.

OS 10.12 will leave some older, legacy class hardware behind.

maybe.

a 'tech preview" of eGPU in OS X 10.12 demo. May be laptop protoype TBv3 in a box. Or better news for Mac Pro .... supported eGPU backported to TBv2.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Despite confirmation stated by few people on this forum....I doubt they will announce it. With all these software stuff being announced like OS X 12 or whatever and iOS 10, I doubt they will have any time for hardwares. If lucky it may be mbp. If they do announce it then we may not see it till December 2016 which the tech may be outdated.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
"Wishlist" (from the thread title) and "What I think we'll see" (from the poll text) are two distinctly different things.

Wishlist: slots and bays
What I think we'll see: updated tube

Reactions: Nermal

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I reluctantly voted for a spec bump after struggling whether to go with Godot.
I still think there's a small chance of an eol announcement later in the year
if Godot does show up at WWDC. There'll be some Sturm und Drang like
when Apple terminated the 17" MBP, Xserve and Aperture, but at this
point in their corporate life I really don't think Apple cares about those
customers as their contribution to the profit statement amounted to
a rounding error compared to the iGizmo biz.

Sic Transit Gloria Cupertino.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
"Wishlist" (from the thread title) and "What I think we'll see" (from the poll text) are two distinctly different things.

Wishlist: slots and bays
What I think we'll see: updated tube
The poll would have had 40 or 50 lines if I included all of the possibilities.

I'll put you down as "new mid-tower".

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
My impossible WWDC Mac Pro Wish list:

• Cpu E5v4 160W

• GPU 1x nVidia Pascal GP100 at least 4TFlop DP + 32 GB

• MIC Compute Accelerator Intel Xeon Phi KL 72 Core 32 GB

• Front Facing Power BTN

• 2 USB-c Front Facing too

• m.2 NVMe (std m.2 FF not proprietary)

• 4 TB3 + 2 TB2

• 2 USB-C + 2 USB3.1

• eSata

• 700W PSU, Vapor Cycle Thermal Core
price less than 13000 fully loaded

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I don't think there will be a MacPro announcement, though if one were made I'd want a GTX 1080 graphics option, so the OS would have support in it for hackintosh purposes without relying on Web drivers.

Last edited:

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
What I think Reasonable to Expect from Apple for WWDC only Annoucements for Avail Q3 of:

• new Retina Macbook Pro 14, 16"model to wait for Q4
  • new Mac nano (mac mini succesor) ssd only, USB-C/TB3 powereed (no internal PSU) 4 Core CPU
  • new Mac Pro:
    • E5v4 at upto 135W TDP
    • GPUs AMD Polaris for D300/D500 replacement, and rebranded W8100 or Fury Nano for D700 Replacement
    • Propietary SSD NVMe
    • 6 TB3 +4 USB-C (2nd GPU on x8 Bus)
    • No 10Gbt Ethernet.
    • 550W PSU
  • Thunderbolt 3 5K Display

Last edited:

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I don't think there will be a MacPro announcement, though if one were made I'd want a GTX 1080 graphics option, so the OS would have support in it for hackintosh purposes without relying on Web drivers.
I get doubts at times...and I was hoping there would be some kinda leak by now...

tralfaz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
A couple months ago I thought there was a glimmer of hope for a Mac Pro update. The confluence of TB3, DDR4, Xeon E5v4, and finally AMD Polaris seemed to be all the ingredients needed. But the dearth of any real leaks makes me think its not happening. If any hardware is announced I expect it to be a preview of the MBP with that stupid display strip. I'm sure Apple is gonna want to show off that horrible idea. No physical ESC key == No Sale!

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
I'm beginning to feel a little doubtful we'll see much if any hardware announced at WWDC2016. But then who knows, it's Apple right. They could pull one out of the bag.

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I'm with this thought that the MP will be upgraded.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/06/back-to-the-mac-modernizing-apples-aging-computer-lineup/

Waiting for the latest available technology makes sense to me. At about the same price points.

Only the delivery date is in question.

Yes the real question is when. I'm hoping it would be GPU upgradable...but highly unlikely. I'm wondering if they will use broad well ex processor or move on to the next...since broad well is way past it's bedtime.
[doublepost=1465485673][/doublepost]
I'm beginning to feel a little doubtful we'll see much if any hardware announced at WWDC2016. But then who knows, it's Apple right. They could pull one out of the bag.
With 2 hr presentation....less likely...but they could briefly talk about it.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
With 2 hr presentation....less likely...but they could briefly talk about it.

2 hrs to talk about 4 operating systems. ( iOS , watchOS , tvOS, and MacOS/OS X ). Plus although essentially "officially" leaked at this point the AppStore pricing/revenue splitting changes.
"More widewspread subscription software is coming" ( important for both users and developers to digest ... hence it will probably make the keynote. )

Unless there is a huge tie in with the new features/capabilities with one of those four OS they have to cover (plus "demo time" for 1-2 apps per OS ), the hardware is secondary.

With 4 OS to cover, they probably have about 25 minutes per OS. ( 4 *25 = 100 mins. 10 mins for intro and big picture and 10 mins for " it has been great and here is something entertaining" at the end. Poof! 120 mins gone. )

Last edited:

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Apple will announce MacOS Pro. This will be a licensed OS that will be available to partnered PC manufacturers. Tim Cook will make the announcement, explaining that the 2013 Mac Pro has been a dismal failure. "We just don't want to expend our valuable resorces on that junk anymore. The Mac Pro assembly factory will continue to produce a 2013 Mac Pro form factor but it will now be a high end kitchen appliance. It's exact function and advanced capabilities are still very secret but this will be announced at a later date well within time for the holiday shopping season. It will also come in a limited choice of colors." An image of the classic veg-o- matic and the 2013 MacPro is shown on the screen behind him to muffled laughter and scripted Apple employee applause.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.