WWE Raw

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mac'nCheese, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Do you still watch? Did you watch and can't stand it anymore? Just curious.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the last time I watched wrestling, I was like 8 maybe 10 years old. I will say people certainly get into it.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Used to watch it when I was in my early 20s. Haven't watched it in 20+ years.

4. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

I love your signature! Haha

I watch it. I don't watch it straight through with NFL going on as well, but I usually watch the opening monologue and then follow along on Twitter or something until the main event. I do watch the PPVs still unless I'm out of town. I have the WWE Network and I have to say, watching some of the old PPVs with friends is always a great time. The Undertaker vs Mankind classic match in Hell in a Cell always leads to a good time.

Also, I deal with a lot of pro athletes(not an agent or anything just in passing) and here is my advice for the day. If you want to spark up a convo with your favorite professional athlete...........start talking about wrestling. I have yet to meet a pro athlete that doesn't watch. I've seen their attitudes totally change when WWE is brought up. Its my theory that they like it because the guys are still great athletes, but they get to watch as fans like we watch their sport.

This year I also will be attending WrestleMania 32 at Jerry's World when they break a world attendance record

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I used to watch it a lot in the late 1990's while I was on active duty in the Marines. I almost went to Wrestlemania one year when it was in Los Angeles but I couldn't get tickets.

Once in a while if I'm flipping channels these days, I'll stop on Raw or Smackdown for a short while.

6. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

I haven't attended a PPV since 2003 when I went to NO WAY OUT

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I always found it stupid, until friends would watch it during the 90s and I started to get into it. Lost interest once Stone Cold left. Now I don't think they even try to make it look realistic.

8. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

They haven't really tried to make it realistic since Vince started to make it main stream and call it "sports entertainment" I think I know what you mean though, how like its a lot more acrobatic now vs slugging away and drawing blood? I would agree with that. I think if anything the action in the ring has gotten a lot better, but the story telling itself has gone downhill a lot. There are also only a select few on the roster who can both wrestle well and talk on the mic.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Back in the day they tried to pass off the storylines as real. Once they admitted that the whole thing was scripted they stopped trying and just went off the rails.
    I think a lot of the problem is the wrestlers now just suck. They are phoning it in for the most part. The Rock and Stone Cold were the last 2 that took it seriously. They were putting on a show not only for the fans but I think for themselves as well.

10. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

I would disagree because John Cena gives everything he has. You can see it in his face and how he acts that he KNOWS the fans don't like him, but WWE won't turn him because the kids love him and how much merchandise he moves.
    I don't believe the guys are phoning it in, if you make it to that level you definitely WANT it. Vince honestly is 1 of the bigger problems. He thinks he still knows what's best but times have changed. Also, the writers they have are Hollywood writers, they aren't wrestling fans.......so the stories they write aren't necessarily what wrestling fans want to see

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wrestling Isn't Wrestling - YouTube

This is by far the most entertaining, but also informative deconstruction of how and why Americans love the ongoing soap opera that is WWE.

12. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Haha, I enjoy it!

I don't take it seriously, but think its funny when people try to make fun of other people for liking it. It's scripted television just like any other tv show, it just happens to be live.

13. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

What about The Undertaker and Triple HHH?

I enjoyed the late 90's stuff back when it was the " Attitude Era " We didn't have cable so i had to read what transpired online or i would ask someone to record it on VHS so i could watch. To be honest i am not a fan with todays WWE " PG " rating I enjoy watching it all again on the WWE network. Currently watching the episode of Raw after the Over The Edge PPV the night Owen hart tragically passed.

I miss having Jim Ross calling the matches, and Howard Finkle being the ring announcer

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The issue is the wrestlers.... sorry sports entertainers are held to the script 100%. Where the rock and stone cold had a guideline sheet of what they should do, but how they did it was up to them. Where with Cena, Reigns, etc the promo's are 100% scripted. It makes it come off as forced with most wrestlers and unnatural. The only time a promo wasn't scripted in recent years? CM Punk's "shoot" back in 2011 and that was pure gold. That almost got me back in wrestling until they dropped the ball by having him constantly lose..... The issue with catering to kids? It ruins storylines and wrestlers. Because the good guy always has to win. A heel can never win the feud and that can ruin an upcoming person.

I remember the HHH vs Orton feud back when Orton was punting everyone( Stephanie, Vince, etc). Orton should have won that feud. Made sense, but nope HHH had to win because the good guy has to prevail. No one can win clean vs Cena, etc.

15. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

Cena needs to become and 16 time champion and equal Ric Flair. That would be worth seeing. Triple HHH would have only won the Orton feud because Triple HHH aka Paul Levesque is married to the bosses daughter

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

What would make it worth seeing if Cena would turn heel in doing so. Having him win with his current character would be completely BLAH. I like the guy because he is passionate and a hard worker, but the character is bland and tired and as I mentioned above, no one can win clean over him( with the exceptions of probably the more established legends like The Rock, Taker, etc). Having him tie and then surpass Flair in the tired old character would just be whatever. Just like the ending of Takers streak, I have a feeling WWE will blow Cena tying/surpassing Flair. Sure it would be a moment per se, but it could be historical( but hopefully not in a finger poke of doom sort of way) if that would be Cena's heel turn.

17. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

I would love seeing a Cena heel turn!!!! That's what I'm waiting for.......not sure it'll ever happen though, but it would be cool to see!

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

DX was amusing, when they turned heel for a part of the bit. HHH always made a good heel. So did the rock when he started to get big.

19. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Honestly you could say that about anyone. Heels are always just more interesting/entertaining. Seth Rollins & Kevin Owens are my 2 favorites on the current roster and they're both heels. Rollins is hilarious and plays the cowardly heel perfectly, not to mention just being great in ring as well. Ric Flair was the ultimate heel where you still loved to cheer against him.

20. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

The DX stuff was great, especially when HBK and HHH reformed and tormented the McMahon's and that moronic Spirit Squad

21. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

DX was great, overall a way better group than the nWo but nWo IMO was more of an oh my god moment and changed the landscape more than DX

22. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

I never watched WCW back then, to be honest i can't stand Hulk Hogan. But the key members in nWo came from WWF anyway (Nash/Hall/Hogan).

From memory too Nash/Hall/HBK/HHH were part of the "Kliq" in the WWF.

23. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

I actually like Hulk, having met him personally through the car community he always seemed like a nice guy. Yeah, all those guys came from the WWF, but to be fair almost everyone did in those days. If you wanted to get technical though Hall, Nash & Triple H actually were in the WCW 1st and then went to WWF and then Nash and Hall went back to WCW

24. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

Wow interesting to know, i didn't release that. I know Steve Austin was the same. Went from WCW -- > ECW --- > WWF/E I loved the Rivalry he and McMahon had i don't think anything will top that.

25. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

I will say the last 2 weeks of RAW have been garbage. Its hard to have Vince involved and mess it up, but man are they trying. Some people are excited about Reigns defending the title at the Rumble, whereas some are whining its not the traditional route of the winner is the #1 contender for WM. Whatever they're doing, were going to start to see the groundwork laid out for WM32 in Dallas starting next week.

I don't think the company trusts Reigns as a champion. He finally is getting the crowd on his side, but he is not good on the mic. He needs to be in a role where he doesn't speak and just crushes things, like he was with The Shield where Rollins and Ambrose did the talking. He would be a great heel turn and join the Authority and have Triple H do the talking, although that seems far fetched now since I'm pretty sure Reigns is going to drop the belt at the Rumble and either Lesnar wins it at the Rumble or wins it at WM and Reigns will fight Triple H at WM