www.activision.com process?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by coolfactor, Oct 31, 2014.

1. coolfactor macrumors 68040

I've been seeing a process in Activity Monitor called "http://www.activision.com", which seems very suspicious. I have no idea how this is starting, but it may be related to Safari somehow. The Activision.com website is game-related and I've never downloaded or installed any games. Nothing turns up in a Google search for this.

Can anybody shed any light on what this process is and how I can remove it? I'm worried that it's spying on me.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Please post a screen-shot showing the process in the Activity Monitor list.

3. coolfactor thread starter macrumors 68040

Here it is in Activity Monitor.

[​IMG]

I just discovered that it's being shown as "Spotlight Web Content", but I don't see any way to deactivate that. I do have Bing Web Searches turned off.

And what is the ellipsis at the end mean? There's more web content plugins associated with that process?

I really want this deactivated as it has no place in my workflow.

----------

I turned off a few more options in Spotlight preferences, such as Other and Developer, both of which are meaningless to me. Where's an explanation for what those include? Developer = Developer Tools? Why would that be special category?

If the Activision web content process appears again, I'll post back, but so far it's not appearing after quitting and restarting the Spotlight process. It does seem to have started up randomly, which is where my suspicion become elevated.

4. Exhale macrumors 6502

Disable Spotlight's History & Bookmarks option. Thats what that process is indexing.

The website it'll show in activity monitor is random.

5. coolfactor thread starter macrumors 68040

Awesome!, thank you. The www.activision.com website must've been choking up Spotlight because it was hanging around in Activity Monitor and chewing up CPU far more than it should've.