Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
It is surprising how many applications persist in a www lookup before allowing any user interaction.

Take calendar or reminders. As soon as they are opened they lookup the web for updates. Leading to user having to wait. Sometimes over 20secs. Hence killing many of the advantages of smartphone interactivity.

Now with multitask, dual core, etc. why generate this wait? Why not give a visual cue that the info is possibly not uptodate and leave the user move forwards. Whilst doing the update in the background.

This delay is somewhat linked to network availability/speed. And since we can expect this to be untrustworthy why code apps as if it is perfect?

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Somehow I fail to see how doing this in the background consumes more battery than doing it in the foreground.

20sec is long on a smartphone, making your statement is absurd. Do you not agree that a calendar app should let you know what conference room you should be-in in the following minutes without holding you up for 20secs to update next weeks meetings?

All I ask is a visual cue that the data is not uptodate and access to last update data.

Sorry, I really don't understand your response

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.