www.me.com

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fraggot, Apr 3, 2010.

1. fraggot macrumors 6502

Since I do not own an iPad, I do know a lot of your MacRumor users out there do.

I was curious, can you access me.com from Safari or are they not allowing that on the iPad either?

If someone could test it for me and if they're feeling really generous they could provide some screenshots of what does show up.

Thanks.

2. lotusindigo macrumors regular

lotusindigo

If they didn't, it would be the most senseless thing I've ever seen. MobileMe is THEIR product.

3. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

I have to ask...

Why would you even THINK the iPad couldn't visit www.me.com??

Since, as the previous poster already said it's an APPLE owned service (was www.mac.com) and of course the iPad would have full access... You certainly don't think Apple is using any flash on that site do you or would roll out a product that couldn't interact with it? Especially since it is one of the ways you can choose to sync many Apple products to all have the same contacts, appointments, etc.

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

5. faffoo macrumors 6502

Nope!

Hi there,

I dont have an iPad but did try it out on the iPad simulator. It redirects to an iPad page that is similar to iPhone start page. Attached below.

Utterly stupid in my opinion!

Faffoo

Attached Files:

6. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Er, maybe because the iPhone / iPod touch is blocked from accessing the MobileMe website?
    It's always annoyed me that you can't access the MobileMe site from an iPhone because there are some things you can only do from the site (such as renewing, upgrading, managing mail folders, setting rules, aliases, etc) and whilst it would make sense to allow access from the bigger iPad screen, it appears it may well not be possible

8. yyy macrumors regular

FYI, with Safari you can cause any web page to "think" you're using an iPad:

1. Open Safari Preferences and click the Advanced tab. Then Select the "Show the Develop menu item..." option.

2. Click the Develop menu item in your menu bar and select User Agent -> Other.

3. In the popup text box enter:

When I attempt to visit the me.com page it sends me to this page: http://www.me.com/ipad_welcome/en/

9. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I bet when/if they release a 13-inch iPad, it'll still redirect to the crippled me.com page. Ridiculous!

10. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Does this mean that if I go on sites like NyTimes on desktop Safari, it'll actually be loading HTML5 as opposed to their flash counterparts?

11. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

Wow... I stand fully corrected... Sorry I was just making normal assumptions that ... are very much wrong. Strange but somehow a small part of me doesn't exactly find this news so shocking after all... :D

Apologies for posting without checking... :eek:

12. yyy macrumors regular

Doesn't work with NYTimes or CNN but does work with vimeo or times.com

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

:) No worries - it does stand as one of Apple's stranger decisions IMO!

14. PlayHard macrumors member

Hey DaveGee, I'm very impressed. It takes a mature person to admit when he's made a mistake. I'm so tired of reading these threads with folks who can't seem to do that and what's worse, they attack instead of just admitting they were wrong. You're restoring my faith in these forums. :)

15. fraggot thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that's just lame, there's no reason to why you shouldn't be able to access it.

Thanks to everyone who checked for me, Apple does enjoy crippling their services.

If/When I do get an iPad I don't know if I'd want my e-mail setup for the Mail application simply so people won't be nosey and look through my stuff. I'd prefer just go to safari and check it that way.

16. 3Pedals6Speeds macrumors member

You can use the idisk app for idisk access, and the mail for me.com email though, right?

17. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Can you do the opposite on the ipad and force me.com to "think" you are NOT on an iPad to get to the main site?

18. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Actually, there is Flash on the MobileMe site. Install Click2Flash then try and use the iDisk web uploader. And I don't think that's the only place.

19. yyy macrumors regular

Probably not and I guess that even if you could it wouldn't be displayed correctly.