Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seanpicli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
so yeah, i've been doing this with a mate - http://picli.com/

basic idea is creative peeps submit their stuff, peeps vote on it and the best stuff gets to the front page - ie the home-page will be an index of constantly cool imagery to look at.... with links to the creators own webspace if people want to see more... hopefully will act as a cool gateway for creative types (especially photographers) to bounce off each other, etc, etc

ie like; http://picli.com/God-and-His-Girlfriend-by-hudef/

we gotta wait and see how people use it but could also work as a cool gateway for news articles ( http://picli.com/Iran-TV-shows-seize...ew-by-mizou32/ ) - ie when saddam was hung - pic of him with link to article... although thats not really our aim or intention with it - not interested in stepping on diggs toes at all - but we're also not interested in censorship so if that stuff gets posted, fairplay.

got a bunch of cool ideas for the future if it takes off, but we only launched a public beta literally a couple of hours ago...

Still looks kinda rough around the edges (its still very very much a beta) - but bare with (the two of) us, we're working like mad men to tidy it up and add cool features. Thought we might aswell let it out into the wild whilst we work on it, so we can get as much feedback as poss..

so umm yeee - check it out - all feedback is VERY much appreciated

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
The fact that I (although by accident) clicked goes against everything I said in this thread but now that I did, I will still give you some suggestions:

• If it is public beta and you are asking people to review the site, why not remove advertising for now?
  • For a random visitor, it is not clear what's the point of the site?
  • Finally, it looks like content is done in a hurry in order to insert as many pictures as possible?

Just don't start another thread in 2 days asking us to review another site :) :D

seanpicli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
weren't looking for reviews - more feedback, so we can change the site as we develop it;

-If it is public beta and you are asking people to review the site, why not remove advertising for now?

We're considering this.

For a random visitor, it is not clear what's the point of the site?

Tutorials, better description of the site, cleaner layout is coming

-Finally, it looks like content is done in a hurry in order to insert as many pictures as possible?

Thanks! - this is why i posted, we're going to be testing different sized thumbnails / amount of content per page constantly - the more feedback we get regarding this the better :)

-Just don't start another thread in 2 days asking us to review another site

I won't :)

dnordstrom

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2007
Amsterdam
I like the design but you could simplify it a bit. And do a better AdSense integration as your current one destroys the first impression of the site.

Overall, good but not great. Has potential.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
You may also consider giving thanks or some credit to people who created lightbox and scriptaculous as you seem to be using those packages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.