www.site.net works, but site.net/ does not

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by wmmk, Dec 2, 2008.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Hi MR,
    It's been quite a while since I've posted here. Anyhow, I'm running a typepad blog site and while typing in www.ouraddress.net works, ouraddress.net just redirects to a godaddy parked domain page. How can I fix this, and would I do so through Typepad, GoDaddy, or both?

Thanks much,
    wmmk

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That would be done through GoDaddy. Check the account manager and I believe it's part of the Cname or A Record. Just have to add the non-www version.

http://help.godaddy.com/article/679

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Just a quick personal comment from someone who started in this business doing DNS zone file setup back in day. At that time the hostname "www" was linked to all client advertising and branding, to signify the new "world wide web" site to the users who managed to get online via dialup. But we would also setup the domain without the hostname as well, it was to account for people leaving off the "www." by accident, internal mail and system logs processing, etc.

In truth the reverse is much more common, meaning, "www" is less often used in branding and advertising these days, and we know by name all the search engines and social networking sites by domain only. But to be safe, CNAMEing as www is sensible so that situation is covered as some folks still type in the hostname first or use legacy software that expects it. So when I read this, I shook my head in disbelief as to the POOR customer service for registrars like godaddy who do the least amount of work possible to streamline costs during the initial registration and zone file setup. One should not have to ask to setup an A record for the domain name, is the point.

Sorry, just a little anger I had to get out, directed at godaddy, not anyone here.

-jim